Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Duck Hunters Missing on Mississippi River

Bad deal. The mississippi is no joke. its unlike any other river I have been on. I leave my vest on 100% of the time on that river.

So sad. A young duck hunter nearby (a spot I’ve hunted hundreds of times) went missing around Halloween, they just found his body recently.

I have never thought of it as a dangerous spot, sure changes how I think about it now.

I was in awe the first time I crossed it heading into Memphis. Looked like a sinister lake snaking thru the land.

That's terrible. The meateater crew recently posted about an incident in the 40's when 85 duck hunters got caught in a storm and died. Stuff of nightmares.

That's terrible. The meateater crew recently posted about an incident in the 40's when 85 duck hunters got caught in a storm and died. Stuff of nightmares.

I remember my grandpa talking about that storm and those hunters. A horrible day right there.

I hope the find the missing hunters safe, and quickly.

Sad deal, seems like this happens more and more every year. Last year I remember hearing about a couple of these. I’ve been in some sketchy situations duck hunting, as I’ve gotten a little older I’ve thought about it and been like Jesus what were we thinking back then. Prayers to the families, their lives will be in our thoughts as we look to the skies this season. Remind ourselves to tell those we love we love them when we head out to do what we love.

Tough one for sure, I feel bad for the families of these young guys.
Waterfowl hunting is dangerous, when you do not think so it is time to quit it. I have been under water with waders twice, crossing on a Beaver dam at 15, too young to know better, and into a frozen creek after an old RR trestle I was crossing collapsed.
Both were scary as all get-out.

This will be so hard on their families, we lost 3 out of 4 teenage kids with an incident on KY lake in 2010 during the ice storm, all rescue efforts had to stop until it was safe for recovery teams to start looking for them again.........prayers for these 2 kids and their families
(just clarifying the 3 teenage kids we lost in our area was not my kids but we did know the parents)

Last edited:
Breaks my heart. I lost my 14 year-old son 11 years ago next week. Died in the night from a seizure. My wife found him in the morning as a buddy and I were on our way out of town to check his trapline. Losing a child never goes away.

I too have had some close calls chasing ducks. It is probably the most dangerous of hunting sports (except maybe opening day deer season in PA ... I hear that can be hairy). Back in '85 my Lab went into the Flathead River after a goose I shot. Had to crawl out on the ice to pull her up. If she'd let go of that honker I think she could have climbed out on her own. Ten minutes later the entire sheet of ice was gone. Hungry Horse had started peak generation about thirty minutes earlier and the water was just then making its way into town.

I won't even get in my 24' cruiser without a PFD on. Once two years ago I discovered I'd forgot my PFD ... when I was half way to my fishing spot ... in my canoe! Yikes! Skirted the shore back to the launch site, loaded up, and drove two hours back home. So much for that fishing trip. Only a total idiot does anything in a canoe without wearing a PFD!

Breaks my heart. I lost my 14 year-old son 11 years ago next week. Died in the night from a seizure. My wife found him in the morning as a buddy and I were on our way out of town to check his trapline. Losing a child never goes away.

Please accept my condolences. We had a serious health scare when our daughter was young. Your loss is every parent's worst fear.

Have hunted the Mississippi a few times and have had a major pucker factor incident every time. It’s a scary and powerful body of water that does what it wants with you. Not what you want to do with it. Hate to hear this.

Well being from Sioux City IA and now have lived in Dubuque Iowa for the last 20 years. Well having hunted the Missouri River for close to 20 years and now the Mississippi River the last 20 years.
The Mississippi River is less dangerous in my mind, current speed on the Mississippi River in the Chanel about 3mph the Missouri River about 7mph it's fast.
Yes I have been on the Mississippi River in 35mph wind and gusts much stronger not fun.
Both rivers still deserve respect. I use to never wear a PFD but a while back I started wearing one in the dark of night.

Yah, it can get sketchy on the bigger rivers. I friend and I hunted on the Arkansas river when I still lived down south. We had an epic snowstorm and frigid temps set in overnight. The storm broke by the morning, however, a thick sheet of ice covered the backwater around the boat launch. We launched before sunrise and broke thick ice with the boat in an attempt to get to warm outflow water close to a power plant that was a mile run upriver. Our enthusiasm for an incredible hunt blinded us by the danger. I eventually realized how stupid we were, as the boat was flexing under the force of the ice. Sitting in the front of our 17’ boat, I turned around and looked at my buddy. We just shook our heads and backed out. I may have been the best decision we ever make in the field.

The Mississippi is the scariest body of water I’ve ever been around. I’ve watched whole trees disappear, then get spit out downriver.

It’s been well over a week now. I hate to say it, but they might not find the bodies. It’s such a tragedy.

Back