Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Duck boat dog ramp design

BrentD

I normally hunt ducks from the bank, but this year, I think I'll do a little boat hunting to get into some new areas. I have a small, 14" aluminum boat that I'll use, and I would like to put a ramp or step on it for my dog. Something that works over the transom would be fine. I don't have much use for the motor.

Gus is 68-70 lbs in fighting trim. He will be a few pounds heavier in early teal season. I hate dragging him over the gunwales. Gotta be an easier way.

lQSTknJ.jpg

Does anyone have an interesting design for a step or ramp that has worked well?

I think there's some commercially available designs if you google.

On my old boat blind I used to have a DIY ramp made of angel iron and expanded steel. It would fold up on the bow deck and was strong enough for a human.

I also made one from a cheap small menards tree stand that worked well if you have room on the transom.

Treestand! Super idea. I don't have one, but I know of several that are hanging illegally for years on public land. Might repurpose one of them.
Craigslist would be another option over stealing. At least around here there are often treestands for sale on CL that are not something I'd trust for me 20' up a tree that would work for the stated purpose. And often for not much more than a song.

There is a stand which is clearly abandoned for at least 3 yrs and now buried in Virginia creeper while strangling the tree. I won't feel guilty repurposing illegal trash.
I feel bad every time I see a tree with a dead/dying top because some moron abandoned a stand in it. Be safe and go get it. Thanks for cleaning up other people’s garbage.

I normally hunt ducks from the bank, but this year, I think I'll do a little boat hunting to get into some new areas. I have a small, 14" aluminum boat that I'll use, and I would like to put a ramp or step on it for my dog. Something that works over the transom would be fine. I don't have much use for the motor.

Gus is 68-70 lbs in fighting trim. He will be a few pounds heavier in early teal season. I hate dragging him over the gunwales. Gotta be an easier way.

lQSTknJ.jpg

Does anyone have an interesting design for a step or ramp that has worked well?
When I started duck hunting, I wrestled my wet muddy lab into my skiff many times. Then someone told me about how to flip his butt into my boat the easy way. Next time out, he swam back to the boat and got his front paws on the gunwale. I pushed down hard on the back of his head/neck and his butt flipped into the boat like magic. I think that we were both surprised by how well that worked!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back