Dubya and Tom Ridge Trample on First Amendment

JoseCuervo

S'pose they are trampling down the Bill of Rights, starting at Number One, and the Second Amendment is next??? :eek:

PITTSBURGH - An Amish man who visited his ailing father in Canada has not been allowed to return because of border security aimed at thwarting terrorists. The man, adhering to the Bible’s prohibition of graven images, has no photo identification.

According to officials in Licking Township, a municipality of 475 people midway between Pittsburgh and the New York border, U.S. officials told the man photo waivers once granted the Amish have been cut off due to security concerns.

Canadian border guards allowed the man into the country to visit his father in Ontario just before Christmas; the United States has prevented his return. The man’s wife and child remain in the United States.

The border policy was altered when the Department of Homeland Security absorbed the Immigration and Naturalization Service, said attorney Mark Knapp of the international law firm Reed Smith, which took on the case Friday.

“We have a conflict between First Amendment rights and national security interests,” Knapp said.

Calls to Homeland Security were not immediately returned Friday. The family’s name has not been released.

Amish scholars say the restrictions could adversely affect the Old Order Amish who have historic ties to Pennsylvania and travel regularly from the states of Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania to Ontario, where there is a huge community.

Several experts in Amish culture said, however, they were unaware of any similar cases.

Gunner,
Come on, this is a case of bureacratic B.S. Willing to bet the Bush is not even aware of the situation and if he was it would be corrected. Laying this situation at Bush's feet seems like grasping at straws, even for you. Did the man check with the border patrol prior to traveling to make arrangements? Plus this is one person out of how many millions that cross the border?

When I cross into Canada it is always easier going then coming back to U.S. I am aware of this and take the proper actions. I do feel for this guy and maybe they should make the administration aware of the problem. Willing to bet the decision was made by a local border patrol official and no one higher up is aware of the whole thing.

But since you see this as an all out assault on our freedom please expand into what is the correct way to secure the border. Also when did they begin attack the 2nd amendment? Please show me that tidbit.

Thanks
Nemont

The Amish religous fathers make room for change. They weren't allowed to use bright colors or lights on their buggies until Penna demanded they use lights when on public roadways. Now they have electric lights on their buggies. Why because its the law. The electirc lights weren't on for prideful reasons.They are not supposed to have their picture taken because it signifies pride. Its the law, he should have had it done. Is he the first Amish man to travel to Canada since the inception of these rules? I doubt it. You have to have a picture ID to buy a gun in Pennsylvania, the Amish buy guns. They have their pics taken for family gatherings, portraits, etc. I bet this Amish guy is on the PHONE trying to get this mess straigntend out, and get back to Penna.

Originally posted by Nemont:
Gunner,
Come on, this is a case of bureacratic B.S.

Also when did they begin attack the 2nd amendment? Please show me that tidbit.

Thanks
Nemont
My guess is they are just trampling the Bill of Rights in numerical order. Here is the First Ammendment, with Tom Ridge preventing another Amish extremist
from bringing new quilting material into the US. And Next will be the Second Amendment. :eek:

Do you really think Ashcroft just wants to know what books you read at the library, but doesn't care who owns a gun???? Do we really have an adminstration that is more afraid of people's thoughts than there guns? Dubya has brought this country to new lows, if that is the case. :mad:

Damn Elkgunner; you look under the bed and in the closet before you go to bed? :eek: Buck up there Pilgrim; GW will protect you! :D

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back