Ds165/ds265

jimss

I hardly slept a wink last night wondering about the Alaska draws and was fortunate to find out this morning that I drew a DS165 tag. If anyone happens to have any tips on that unit please let me know.

Tom Lohuis (ADF&G) is your best source for population info. I highly recommend Mike Meekins if you're flying in, he's the pilot the state uses for sheep surveys in the area. Good luck!

Kaitum, I messed up and didn't get in touch with Meekins today. Hopefully he isn't booked! I believe there also is a woman biologist in Glennallen that knows a bunch about the unit? Thanks!

Give Mike a call tomorrow, don't give up till he tells you he's booked full. Leave voice mail if you can. The really busy guys will just return calls in the order they're received. That's how 40 Mile Air worked last year the first weekend after draw results were released. Mike's son-in-law, Matt Keller, flies for him too and might be worth a call. Blue Ice Aviation.

Becky Schwanke would have been a great contact in Glennallen but she moved on. Her assistant is the area biologist now, I think. Just call there Glennallen office and ask for the area biologist. I think Frank is his first name.

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice. I had the same deal a few years ago when I drew a Delta tag. I ended up finally reaching Golden Eagle Air and they did a fantastic job!

Good advice so far. Call Tom, or others at ADFG but don't expect him to say hunt X drainage, and don't ask for that specific info, none of them will give it to you. Do your research before you call, know what drainage you want to hunt, and ask about sheep populations.

Talk to the couple outfitters that run hunts out there. Find out where they hunt, let them know you plan on hunting x drainage. You might be surprised to how helpful they might be.

Don't get hung up on going the first week. You have lots of time. Later in the year the sheep will get pushed out of the nasty stuff and be more accessible... you'll also likely have it all to yourself after week 2. That is some of the most rugged country in the state, weather can suck for days be prepared to spend some extra time in the mountains.

There is road, ATV and boat access if you have the toys to get you there.

Do hunt this tag and put in all the effort you can. It's unlikely you will ever draw it again. Don't be one of the 60% who squander the opportunity and don't even hunt it. If you can't afford to fly, or don't have a lot of time consider hiking/atv access. You could go multiple long weekends. You might have to walk 15 miles in, but you can get into sheep. With a little luck you might kill one.

Congrats on the tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back