Dry Pull Back Rep?

midwesterncrosshair

Looking for some bow experts here... I recently started target practicing for the bow hunting season. I live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow me any safe place to shoot my bow so I only get to shoot one day during the weekend by my nearest public free bow range. I'm dealing with fatigue after 12 shots and the first 12 are spot on and get bad soon after. I understand you usually only shoot one arrow at a deer. But in my mind I only get to shoot once a week and want to shoot more that 12 accurately.

Anybody else just pull the bow back and slowly release and repeat? Is that corny? or is that bad for the bow?

Thanks guys

Sounds like a reciepe for a dry fire and exploded bow. There are many training aids out there you can get that will replicate, not duplicate, drawing a bow to build muscle memory. Nothing will replace actual practice but it can fill in the gaps when you can't get the bow out.

Looking for some bow experts here... I recently started target practicing for the bow hunting season. I live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow me any safe place to shoot my bow so I only get to shoot one day during the weekend by my nearest public free bow range. I'm dealing with fatigue after 12 shots and the first 12 are spot on and get bad soon after. I understand you usually only shoot one arrow at a deer. But in my mind I only get to shoot once a week and want to shoot more that 12 accurately.

Anybody else just pull the bow back and slowly release and repeat? Is that corny? or is that bad for the bow?

Thanks guys
For starters, your draw weight is too heavy. Dial it down. You want to replicate perfection. You can easily ingrain bad habits when shooting while fatigued, because you can no longer keep up perfect form. I commonly shoot 6 arrows per day, sometimes less. Install a small target inside your apartment/house in a safe location at chest level, and then shoot 6 arrows at it from about 6 feet away. Even better, shoot 3 arrows twice a day. Focus on form and your pre-shot routine. This will build your muscle memory, as well as your muscles, to the point where you can eventually crank the draw weight back up. You say in your mind you want to shoot more than 12 arrows accurately at one time. Why?? If you are competing in a 3D shoot, yeah, you need to do this, but if your focus is hunting, it's just one arrow. Keep it simple.

When I started out a long time ago I lived in an apartment. I shot a block target in the short hallway in my apartment. Moved to a duplex and the distance increased. I’d say distance was about 5 yards. Made sure the wife wasn’t home when I did this.

Buy a block target and shoot in your garage.

I saw a video on goHUNT where the guy had a Matrix target on a shelf to get it at eye (arrow?) level. Distance was essentially zero. I think the guy was paper-tuning his bow.

Either way, doing this allows you to develop those muscles and form and good habits without having a longer range to shoot at.

Looks like you beat me to it EF2 (the inside-the-house block target idea). And what you said about stopping the session when fatigued is spot on.

Looks like you beat me to it EF2 (the inside-the-house block target idea). And what you said about stopping the session when fatigued is spot on.
My goal is to quit before I feel any fatigue whatsoever, because once I first notice the fatigue, it's too late...it means my last shot was sub-optimal.

Thanks guys, thats all good info... I guess in my mind I only get to shoot once a week and when I do I have to drive 30 min to my destination and 30 min back. So in my mind I'd like to get more than 12 shoots accurately. But good tips

I use a 5 pound dumbbell and an exercise band to practice drawing and holding for long periods of time to build those muscles. Doesn't build the muscle memory, but the strength will help you control your draw and steady you on long holds.

I do it a lot. Just go slow and you'll be fine. Also like someone mentioned, put a target up at bow height if you want to put an arrow in.

Last edited:
Pulling your bow without an arrow is a recipe for disaster. Don’t do it. Shoot a block target in your house or garage. You can print scaled targets to shoot at. Pin them on the block and shoot away.

Can someone explain to me how shooting your bow in your house or as someone else said "in your apartment" is less dangerous than doing what he has asked. Keep in mind, he knows this piece of equipment and his finger is off the release trigger. Looking for facts, not fear based opinion
I'm all ears.

Obviously, it is incumbent upon anyone to make sure they have a backstop that will stop an arrow. A backyard fence is not it, nor is a single layer of drywall. It doesn’t really matter, so long as you don’t run the risk of putting an arrow in someone. If that’s your TV room, great.

It’s bad practice to let your bow down because 1) it’s hard on your shoulder/rotator cuff 2) it’s too easy to roll the string off a cam and 3) people get sloppy and get their finger on the release.

I use 40 arrows as a goal at the range. That's an hour if I'm shooting fast but more commonly 1.5 to 2 hours. First sign of fatigue I stop.

You need to reduce the draw weight on your bow. I've read that you have to be able to draw your bow sitting when cold and tired. I tried that last week after shooting light was over on the one day we just sat a meadow and couldn't draw it. I was 40+ miles in of hiking above 10,000 feet and both cold by temp and cold from sitting a while but bottom line is I couldn't draw it. I stood up and drew it with a little difficulty but that wouldn't have been an option if an elk walked up. Keep in mind that I can draw it at least 40 times without fatigue on a range session that includes standing, sitting, and kneeling. We sat a meadow because we all needed a break after many days of hard hunting. I think if I would have been fine on spot and stalk like normal but fatigue and cold weather are part of hunting.

A good weight program during the week will help you in general as well as with your bow.

Obviously, it is incumbent upon anyone to make sure they have a backstop that will stop an arrow. A backyard fence is not it, nor is a single layer of drywall. It doesn’t really matter, so long as you don’t run the risk of putting an arrow in someone. If that’s your TV room, great.

It’s bad practice to let your bow down because 1) it’s hard on your shoulder/rotator cuff 2) it’s too easy to roll the string off a cam and 3) people get sloppy and get their finger on the release.

What he said ^^^

EF2 earlier said to stop when fatigued and I second that opinion. Tonight, about 12 was all it took for me to stop. Yesterday morning I shot about 30. When I go to the local 3D range I shoot between 40-45, but these shots are in 2-shot groups spread out over an hour and a half or so. So the time allotted makes a difference too. There’s no way I could shoot 40 in say 45 minutes. Recovery time between ends is needed.

RE: safety - release or d loop can fail. I've had this happen 3 times. So drawing back without an arrow you can dry fire and blind yourself. Drawing back with an arrow but no target that arrow can hit someone. Key like @JLS said is backstop behind target. I know a dude whose carbon arrow and field tip went through a brick wall. Use a think layer of wood or metal behind your foam target inside.

I had a 10-yd range in my basement for the days I couldn't get to the range, every other time or so I went downstairs I'd empty the quiver and call it good for the session, you don't need distance to practice mechanics...also, if you're fatigued after 12 shots you're probably pulling too much weight and certainly not helping your form.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back