Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dry fired

Pucky Freak

^^ Yep, this was me today.

I wish I had a brag post, but not this time. Instead, maybe someone can learn from my screw-up.

I bought my first compound bow (Bear Species) last week, and by yesterday afternoon had it customized to my liking, paper tuned, and started to practice anchoring.

Today I set the first two sight pins at 30 and 40 yards. My 30-yard shots consistently hit within 2" of the point of aim, which was exciting for me because I didn't expect to be doing this well so soon.

My 15-yard shots were 2" high on the 30-yard pin, so I moved to 15 yards to practice aiming 2" beneath the target. The first pull of the trigger brought a crack like lightning. In the next half second, I had two thoughts: 1. I just dry fired, and 2. Where is the arrow? A wave of dread started to come on as I found my arrow right where I left it - in the quiver.

The Saunders cable slide appeared to take the brunt of the arrowless string, as it snapped and the cradle whizzed off to my right. My arm holding the bow took a nice whipping, but I was otherwise uninjured.

So, how did this happen? I have no excuse. I wasn't careful enough, and I allowed it to occur. That aside, there were a few contributing factors:

1. Before I drew back I was thinking about arrow trajectory. This was a grave error. I should have chosen to stop thinking about everything before starting my pre-shot routine.

2. I was happy and excited about how well I was shooting, how good the equipment was working, and how much I liked the equipment. I was a bit smug at how my equipment research had paid off, and I was having a lot of fun. This was the goal (duh), but I still should have tempered my feelings with the reality of the situation: I was handling a weapon that can fail catastrophically and severely injure someone if used improperly. In 2016 my shotgun discharged when I closed the action, but I was saved from killing someone by the ingrained habit of always maintaining safe muzzle direction.

3. I have been shooting traditional bows for 20 years, shot thousands of arrows, and taken diverse game. This isn't my first rodeo, but I overlooked a very important part of the transition from traditional archery tackle: you don't see, feel, or hear the arrow on a compound when drawing back or viewing the target. With traditional equipment, you do. The tip of the arrow is part of the sight picture. I am so accustomed to these sensations, and I never had to check if I had an arrow nocked. It's time to retool my pre-shot routine to include verifying the presence of a nocked arrow. I am thinking 500 drills before letting another arrow fly to retrain my brain.

Tomorrow I am off to the pro shop to have the bow inspected. The strings jumped off, but the only damage I can find so far are two tiny spots, barely visible to the eye, where a cottonball catches on each of the limbs. I can't tell if it's a crack in the fiberglass or a paint blemish. Worst case scenario I buy a new bow and cable slide for $330.

I can't say I am glad I did this, but I am happy that it turned out to be relatively cheap way of getting my attention to be more vigilant about not repeating what can be an expensive and very dangerous error.

Last edited:
I have a similar story, but mine happened with a bow I had $1600 in. It was my first real bow and I was having so much fun shooting it. And then I managed to skip right past the nocking an actual arrow part of the sequence. This happened two weeks before deer season opened last year. I ended up missing the first two weeks of the season as I waited for my bow to be restrung. But I learned a lesson and I was able to put an arrow through a buck with that bow about 8 weeks after I dry fired it.

The pro shop guy at Scheels said there was no damage. According to him, the 70 lb. bow being dialed down to 55 lbs is what saved it. He said to just watch out for limb splintering with age. I requested to pay for the inspection and restringing the bow, but he refused (pleasant surprise). Amazon says 7-10 days for the new cable slide to arrive, and then I'm off to starting my pre-shot drills.

I know several people who have done this.

In 30 years of shooting I have never done it. But It happens.

Personally, I would get rid of the bow because I would be fearful that something might happen at any time. (Which is why I dont buy used bows)

Glad its ok. While its not good, most new bows can withstand one.

The only one I've seen was in a bow shop and a guy drew back and it slipped, rocketing the peep through a glass display case shattering it, and the string jumped off and slapped him silly. I thought the guy had seriously hurt himself.

I've done it once. Same scenario. I've put probably 800 arrows through it since then. I had it at 55 as well. I'll retire it probably after next year as I will have 3-4k arrows through it. What I won't do is go any higher on the draw weight.

Although, you're probably back shooting again... my story should help you feel better. Early last year, I bought a new Mathews Triax and did a "half" dry fire the first evening I had it. I was showing a buddy and was trying to pull it back with fingers. My fingers slipped off and it popped my arm pretty good. I made myself sick wonder how much damage I did. Showed up to the archery shop with my head down, limp strung bow and said "I'm that guy". Guy that runs the archery shop felt so bad that he replaced the draw length mods on it for free (that was the only thing damaged). He told me that I at least did it at half draw.

I've witnessed my buddy do it on a Cabela's Bear compound. He is a little daring, but put the string back on and went back to shooting like it never happened. I agree with John, it all happens to us at some point.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back