Caribou Gear

Dry aging vs wet againg?

sacountry

Which aging technique do you prefer and why? I've experienced plusses and minuses to both curious to see others do. I lean toward wet aging for temperature control in my garage fridge plus no meat loss from outer bark.

In my experience, it depends on the cut of the meat.

Flat iron, tenders, and skirt are just some types of cuts that tend to dry out too much when dry-aged. In fact, any low-fat, lean cuts, such as back straps, can benefit from wet-aging in my opinion.

Issues with wet aging game is they seem to develop a slightly metallic flavor. Done wrong, wet aging can encourage the growth of harmful bacterial during the aging process Keep the meat clean, area clean and vacumn seal the primals and subprimals right away, you should do fine with wet aging.

You can limit the amount of drying with your meat during dry aging if you age with the hide on. If you are dry aging at between 32 and 40 degrees leaving the hide on is the best suggestion I can give you. If you are hunting in late summer to early fall when you are hunting in t-shirts you pretty much should remove the hide to cool the meat down.

Me personally, I only age 1-4 days so I use the dry aging method and like the taste better. I done both. You are not wrong going either direction. It's a matter of personal taste. I lean towards 1-4 days dry aging. With antelope, I hang them overnight and butcher next day or I put them on ice if it's early in season and temps are high and butcher next day.

Last edited:
I did dry aging last year and wet aging this year. (All antelope) Both taste good but I agree, wet aging saves some meat loss but also the time it takes to shave the bark off.

One of things I'm trying to understand is the enzyme process. I had understood that enzymes in meat stop working once the meat is frozen so aging over an extended period of time, say 10-14 days prior to freezing will tenderize the meat. My meat is typically come out of the mountains on my back so no hide attached. I'll put it immediately into vacuum sealed bags and then into the fridge when I get home.....always with a vigorous inspection/cleaning prior to sealing.

I could potentially break down the roasts and steaks at that point and go straight to the freezer, but I choose not to so the enzymes can go to work.

I prefer dry aging with the hide on. The biggest problem is the temperature here in Indiana can be 0 to 65 this time of year. In archery season it is get it skinned and quartered ASAP and age it in a cooler or fridge.

father-in-law hangs his muleys in cold shed hide off. he completely covers it in ground black pepper. coats the whole thing. claims it keeps flies away. I'll trust him. he's been doing it for 30 years and hangs it for 5 days

Do yourselves a favor and listen to episode 227 of the Meateater podcast. Absolutely fascinating! I will be getting my Masters in Meat Sciences because of how interesting this is to me!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back