Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

DRT Bullets

Powdered metal core is not new either, it was used in frangible bullets during WWII. These were mostly used for target practice whereas the target was pulled by an airplane.

Googlefu returned threads 15+ yrs old on DRT frangibles yet the only field reports I found were from hog hunting. Company website offered both loaded ammo and bullets with the bullets alone at competitive pricing, ammo at a premium. I’m thinking it may be due to the niche novelty of the thing these are largely unknown.
So if we exclude all lead projectiles then we are left to mono of varying design. Barnes peels back and drives deep. Hammer petals off yet the core also drives deep. Cutting Edge adds even more petals to their core. Then you got Ft. Scott TUI that keyholes inside the target. All cause massive hemorrhage and all of these could pass through most targets.
I’m thinking that DRT has a place amongst hunting bullets where nontoxic is desired (or legally mandated) and pass through should be avoided. Like culling or in populated areas that still permit rifle. How about a HT episode so we can all see the effects? I’ll even roll the bullets for you guys.

It doesn't make sense to me to drop an animal then go on a treasure hunt looking for bullet pieces during butchering. Just my opinion but a mono bullet that stays in one piece is easier to find than an unknown amount of pieces.

Looking at ballistic gel testing on them, I don't think they do what they're advertised to do. The copper fragments are tiny and add nothing to wounding, and they fragment quickly, drastically reducing penetration. I wouldn't use them on anything I wanted to die in a quick manner, or on a heavily built animal.

Back