Drought for the west

things are gonna start getting more interesting i think.

i've been at a water policy conference the last three days. an entire panel discussion had to be cancelled this morning because i think nearly everyone on that panel, including my general manger, got called out to what i assume was basically an emergency colorado river meeting. i assume it's related to the contents of this article and some internal rumblings from DOI.

i'm not sure of the details of that meeting or what other officials were there, could've very likely involved the governor.

things are gonna start getting more interesting i think.

i've been at a water policy conference the last three days. an entire panel discussion had to be cancelled this morning because i think nearly everyone on that panel, including my general manger, got called out to what i assume was basically an emergency colorado river meeting. i assume it's related to the contents of this article and some internal rumblings from DOI.

i'm not sure of the details of that meeting or what other officials were there, could've very likely involved the governor.
Any chance on a brief summary since it’s behind the pay wall?

Never mind, I googled it and could see the same article

Any chance on a brief summary since it’s behind the pay wall?

Never mind, I googled it and could see the same article

yeah i think it should be available one or another for everyone.

my personal TLDR would be: after DOI conitnually threatening to drop the hammer and then instead just continually extending the deadline might stop happening. i.e. hammer time.

we'll see. every state claims to have some solid legal footing. because it will come down to some nasty legal fights IMO.

no way to be unbiased in my line of work, but i do truly believe the biggest losers will be arizona and cali. whether by DOI hammer alone or the result of a legal tussle.

i listened to the AG, senator bennet, the governor, and our colorado river commissioner speak in person this week. they are in full unanimous agreement on our states/upper basin state's approach to solving/fighting this issue. that being: the only way solve this problem has to stem from the lower basin, there is no way the upper basin can solve this issue without the lower basin making massively drastic changes; the tribes must absolutely be paramount in every discussion; and that we will fight as hard as we can to not lose any apportionment (of which we take less than half of) to states that have been historically overtaking theirs.

Last edited:
I sure hope the folks who are being paid, will not be counting on the money lasting forever. Could be a helpful program to give stakholders a chance to adapt, or it could just be an expensive delay-of-crisis...

SB1 Wirth SB 57 Wirth SB70 Hemphill SB167 Wirth

I don't even know who the State Eng. is anymore.
Thanks for the bills. That NM Unit Fund one for 600k seems specific, I wonder what that plan is there

And Mike Hamman is the current SE:

So far so good for a lot of basins.
View attachment 262975
Rookie Numbers GIFs | Tenor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back