Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Drought for the west

Supposed to get up to almost 100 the next few days. With our humidity it's really going to suck. Feel bad for you guys out west.

98 @ 7500' is hot.
Was 114 in Tucumcari and half NM was above 100 yesterday with more records in the east today. It's heading into Tejas and come Thurs. the prediction is above average precip for the AZ/NM border thro the end of month.
We need a break. 80+ days since last rain.
I know the climate is different but I can't imagine 80 days without rain! What effects does this have on ranchers? Are most of the cattle sold? Are they hauling in hay from other states? I know short term drought here is TOUGH, but I can't imagine what you guys are facing.

I read somewhere the other day that some places in Utah and northern Arizona have been in mild to extreme drought conditions since the fall of 2019.

I know the climate is different but I can't imagine 80 days without rain! What effects does this have on ranchers? Are most of the cattle sold? Are they hauling in hay from other states? I know short term drought here is TOUGH, but I can't imagine what you guys are facing.

I read somewhere the other day that some places in Utah and northern Arizona have been in mild to extreme drought conditions since the fall of 2019.
A couple neighbors have sold their stock. The range cannot carry them and they are tired of a $200k feed bill every year. Hauling alfalfa,grass rolls & pellets. Odd seeing winter feed trucks every morning, in summer.
Others have cut their herds way down. One couple has half the stock rotating the leases so they have some feed. But the ground is so dry that the Gramma grass can pull if over run now.

I have not run cattle in 5 years. My place is for wildlife now. I have been feeding the mommas a small bale of alfalfa a day this week to give them something. My water has been a lifesaver for them. The elk cows have returned with spotty bodies.IMG_0091.JPG
30% chance Thursday if we can get thru tomorrows 40mph winds , with cooler temps.
Thunderheads building along the Continental divide the last few days. That's the Divide behind my tank.
Dry lightning and virga last 3 days, but way cooler in the afternoons now with clouds.

It's always surreal to see the different rainfall outcomes and consequences. Often floods in the east, drought and fires in the west. Green in Montana, brown in New Mexico. Right now, rain is waterfalling off my gutters, probably got 2 inches in a half hour. It's about 2000 miles east of where it's needed though. This is on top of an evenly spaced wet spring and everything is lush. Again, wish I could send the grass your way. Hopefully the summer rains come to you. West and SW deserves a break.A60FC488-7356-4411-9DA4-E13A40F10101.jpegB64CBDD6-3265-471C-811A-6F5411D242EB.jpegAAC7216A-B351-4BAF-832E-9E14A7226623.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s been unbelievably rainy and wet this spring in Palouse region of idaho. I’m not sure where we are on yearly precip but I’ve never seen anything like this. I’ve already mowed my yard as many times this year as I did all of last

Ooof, you have my sympathy. 67 here today, it rained more last night. Last year at this time it was about 114 and hadn’t rained in three months.
that's a slight exaggeration, we didn't break 110 until the last week of June last year.
1655133555120.png

But the precip totals this year are just crazy. Seattle is going to likely break all time records. We likely won't because the record amounts are based on high intensity thunderstorms of which we've had very few. But it just rains a little every couple of days.

My tomatoes have not grown since I planned them, these 40 deg nights are just not getting it done.

The Jellostone is flooding. I never would have predicted a couple months ago.

Boulder and Stillwater are flooding. Red Lodge is underwater from Rock Creek flooding. A few bridges have been washed out, at least one over the Jelly (at Carbella).

Don’t be pedantic 🤣.

Flood warnings everywhere in north central Idaho.
Had to google that. Have you ever noticed how a married couple over enough years start to act like one another? My wife is the definition of pedantic, which drives me crazy, apparently 14 years is long enough to pick up on the bad habit. My apologies.

We're not flooding, just cooking along above avg for the last month, and per the NOAA river forecast center, for the next 2 weeks.

Back