Driving Lights & Frontal Protection

OzzyDave

What, if any, are folks using for night driving lights and frontal protection?
I do a lot of night driving and run Lightforce LED’s and an LED light bar. My mates say I’m scared of the dark BUT hey I like to see what’s out there in front of me - mainly kangaroos for us. The steel bar up front sorts them out reasonably well. You can see the rego plate is still a little bent. I’d imagine deer and the likes could be an issue for you folks.
I’ve noticed here in the last few years that majority of drivers travelling our rural roads are using LED’s up front. I like the pure light it gives me for about 300 - 400 yards. Have felt much less fatigued after long night sessions than when I had the HID lights. The HID’s were great but I believe I outdrove my lights - looking out past 500 yards at night is wasted energy on the eyes.

8FF727DB-8A06-4ECA-8106-668B7FD08513.jpeg

That's a rig right there!

I just run a LED lightbar myself. I find it gives me plenty of light to see the road and it floods the ditches so I can see the deer about to pop up on the road!

I have a grill guard, but its more decoration than useful like yours. But it came with the truck and I haven't felt the need to change it out...

I replaced my factory foglamps with Baja Design Squadron Pro-R driving combo in amber in my '18 4Runner. I love the clean look and awesome performance.

I replaced my '14 Tundra factory fog lights (which were useless, actually the headlights are useless too, my only complaint with the Tundra) with a set of Morimoto lights, they are actually better than my headlights so I always have them on at night. I also put a, 18" LED light bar behind my grille that I can use when off-road. As for the guys who drive around with the big LED light bars on during the day on busy roads, it's obnoxious, don't do it...

I have a grill guard, but its more decoration than useful like yours.

Yeh the light bar is great fill for the sides and when off road on tracks etc.
Without protection, 1 animal strike would be at least $2000 repair bill- the “roo bar” up front of mine has paid for itself multiple times. I think I’ve bounced 15 or so skippy’s off the front.

Yeh the light bar is great fill for the sides and when off road on tracks etc.
Without protection, 1 animal strike would be at least $2000 repair bill- the “roo bar” up front of mine has paid for itself multiple times. I think I’ve bounced 15 or so skippy’s off the front.
Bouncing skippy's almost sounds like a sport.

YES - we have plenty. I believe the Govt quota this year for our state, for professional shooters, was around 4 million and thats estimated to be 10% of population, so it’s not if it’s just when you’re going to bounce one.

Chock up another couple of skippies, a pig and a feral goat for my rig AND that was just Saturday morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back