Drew MT 621 rifle tag could use some advice

I grew up hunting there, and generally get a handful of calls annually asking for me to guide. My response is, “you don’t need to pay me, it’s not that tough an area to hunt. Here’s where I’d go and what I’d do”

Still find it laughable? @DougStickney & eyjonas?
I thought all the elk were on private land in Montana hence usher in 454? I’m so confused

Enjoy the hunt for what it is (a fun area to hunt with a high chance for success). This is not a trophy unit. But there are some big bulls in every unit, so there’s always a chance. During cow hunts I’ve been on there, I’ve found that the bulls there tend to expose themselves enough pretty often and can be glassed up throughout the day if you do a lot of hiking and glassing. Numbers of elk and bull quality are significantly down from a decade ago, so just have fun with the hunt with realistic expectations.
This.

Got my bull. Pulled out the day before opening due to the weather. I finally got back down the following Thursday. After about an hour of hiking and glassing I found my bull and made it happen. With the drought, the weather coming and everyone having a hard time this year I was happy to get a nice bull. I left home at 7:30 that morning and was back that night at 11.

Attachments

• 85C302CB-A7A9-4B56-95DE-D5DB8B6C7707.jpeg
    85C302CB-A7A9-4B56-95DE-D5DB8B6C7707.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 170
Great job! Good on you to know when to pull camp due to weather. More than one person has not be prepared in that neck of the woods.

Back