Drew a once in a lifetime ND Bull elk tag

NDhunter43

So I drew a once in a lifetime ND Bull elk tag for ND elk unit E2. Plan to hunt near the little Missouri River. My goal it to shoot a nice bull with my bow. That would cross two things off my bucket list a really nice bull, and an archery elk. If anyone has any advice or potential hunting spots would be much appreciated.

So I drew a once in a lifetime ND Bull elk tag for ND elk unit E2. Plan to hunt near the little Missouri River. My goal it to shoot a nice bull with my bow. That would cross two things off my bucket list a really nice bull, and an archery elk. If anyone has any advice or potential hunting spots would be much appreciated.
I think @NDGuy was hunting just below your unit last year. He might be able to help you.

I got my elk E2 elk tag about 12 years ago. I just knocked on a few doors a few months ahead of season and got on some land just north of the killdeer mountains. The guy hadn't been back there in months so he had no idea if the elk were there. Rifle opener I go back in his pasture, spot the heard within 20 minutes and had my bull down within another 20. Scored 345. Was so easy I almost felt bad. It doesn't go like this for everyone but there are some monster bulls in that unit.

Congrats and best of luck on your tag. BakPakr is right I had a tag last year and took a nice bull. I'll tell you one thing is to enjoy every minute of it. You don't know if you will be hunting all season or done in the first hour of the first day.

From what I know not many worth a shit are out archery hunting so if you scout and hunt hard you should be in a good place to have opportunity at some nice bulls. The guy that shot the state record awhile back killed his bull in E2. I had the tag for E4/E3 so didn't hunt up in E2 but from everything I know or read sticking near the river is your best bet. I will hit you up if I get any info that could help.

@NDGuy I was fortunate enough to draw an Any Elk tag in unit E3 this year and I was wondering if you had any advice/ areas that would be worthwhile to checkout. I am going scouting this weekend but am having trouble finding elk.

Good luck. Have a group of buddies that left for MT on Monday and another group leaving for CO on Thursday. It was good therapy for me to just help them pack…lol. Mama and I go the back half of Sept. can’t wait.

@NDGuy I was fortunate enough to draw an Any Elk tag in unit E3 this year and I was wondering if you had any advice/ areas that would be worthwhile to checkout. I am going scouting this weekend but am having trouble finding elk.
Have you found any down in that area my wife got drawn for an any elk in E3 and any tips and hints would be great. This is the third year she’s ever hunted and first time putting in for an elk and got drawn. Got my .270 all sighted in and ready for her and going out tomorrow with the holiday since we have work off

Congrats and best of luck on your tag. BakPakr is right I had a tag last year and took a nice bull. I'll tell you one thing is to enjoy every minute of it. You don't know if you will be hunting all season or done in the first hour of the first day.

From what I know not many worth a shit are out archery hunting so if you scout and hunt hard you should be in a good place to have opportunity at some nice bulls. The guy that shot the state record awhile back killed his bull in E2. I had the tag for E4/E3 so didn't hunt up in E2 but from everything I know or read sticking near the river is your best bet. I will hit you up if I get any info that could help.
Would you happen to have any advice or tips or hints for in E3 it’s my wife’s third year hunting and first time she put in for an elk and got drawn for any. Going out Monday morning with the holiday hopefully maybe find something.

Would you happen to have any advice or tips or hints for in E3 it’s my wife’s third year hunting and first time she put in for an elk and got drawn for any. Going out Monday morning with the holiday hopefully maybe find something.
Physically go up to ranch houses and ask for permission even if it isn’t posted. It goes a long way.

Couple buddies had that tag before. What's the latest update? Good luck!
Walked lots of miles got lots of fresh air. No sign the elk were in the area this year. A rancher friend of mine and his brother both got nice bulls the week before. I am hoping some of the rancher fill their tags and I plan to head back out in November

Good luck! I had the E3 tag in 2019. I did all public land and didn't try to use a bow just used the rifle. It was a great hunt but I also spent 16 days scouting before season that summer. Tagged a great bull that is now down stairs :)

Update have hunted two more weekends and absolutely nothing. Just lots of deer hunters and none of them have seen elk. I am preset discouraged. I am hoping the snow and cold we have gotten stirs things up. The rest of November is super busy and it seems like even less ranchers are willing to let people on. I am hoping to make a big push in December and get one.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back