Down puffy vs sitka high country hoody (synthetic)

Falcon75

I know the down vs synthetic advantages from sleeping bag debate but I am wondering in a puffy jacket what are your experiences. Camofire has the sitka cheaper today(synthetic). I would say I could keep a down dry cause in bag in pack unless stopped and sitting/glassing. I currently use a fleece windstopper jacket and a gor-tex shell from cabelas pre17' (merger bass pro). Just looking for more warmth vs weight. Impressed with the sitka accent pants and other pieces that I got for hot az hunt this past fall. The price scares me on some of the high tech gear. Puffy I would wear more than just hunting so doesn't go against hunting budget 😅. I know buy once cry once.

I tend to lean towards down because of weight/packability/ warmth. Like you said stays dry as it's in my pack (often inside a dry bag). That said my insulated FL pants are synthetic and they are awesome. 🤷‍♂️

I prefer a down puffy jacket, I usually get a neutral color and wear my camo over it on cold days. they weight almost nothing and compress down well so they don't take up much room in your pack.

Packability vs warmth can't be beat with down products so if your looking at saving ounces & space it's the way to go. Quality/name vs price is another issue. You can find some very good high quality gear without a high end name brand ($$$$) attached to it. Feathered friends, Montbell, even REI are a few names that come to mind.

If down is a little expensive for your blood I would suggest Sitka's "High Mountain" synthetic fill hoody. They don't pack as small as a down jacket but are well worth the money. I own two of them. Both purchased at sale pricing and do a very good job of loft and warmth.

If down is where you are going I highly recommend Montbell products. I own pants and a jacket that have held up well over the years and surely fit the packability lbs/warmth scenario.

Hope this helps.

If I am going to do it I am going to do it so cost isn't that much of consideration. Also wanted to know what anyone thought of the sitka high country hoody. Sounds like might not be place to spend money on brand.

If I am going to do it I am going to do it so cost isn't that much of consideration. Also wanted to know what anyone thought of the sitka high country hoody. Sounds like might not be place to spend money on brand.
Depends on what you are doing. I believe that jacket uses primaloft silver which is roughly equivalent to 450fill down of the same fill weight.

(edited because my math was stupid)

Last edited:
I am probably 75/25 down to synthetic in the lower 48, north of the border and alaska almost 100% synthetic

Speaking of down puffy jackets, should my jacket be out of its compressed bag and be hanging loose in my closet when I'm not in the field? It's all compressed and has been for 7 months. Recommendations anyone?

Thank,
Deuce

Speaking of down puffy jackets, should my jacket be out of its compressed bag and be hanging loose in my closet when I'm not in the field? It's all compressed and has been for 7 months. Recommendations anyone?

Thank,
Deuce
Down jackets and sleeping bags need to be stored fluffy and not compressed. Toss it in a large dryer for about 5 minutes and then hang in the closet .

Depends on what you are doing. I believe that jacket uses primaloft silver which is roughly equivalent to 450fill down of the same fill weight.

(edited because my math was stupid)
I pm'd this to snowy at one point and forgot to edit my post... I think this is more reasonable or at least not outrageously stupid.

Total weight of the high country hood 15oz
Insulation 100g/m2

Rab 16.5oz
Insulation 5.4oz or 153g total.
Weight of jacket minus insulation =11.1

Let's use the 11.1 as a base weight, the High country has less zippers/ baffles etc so let's give it a 1oz benefit of the doubt.
Call it 4.9 oz of insulation. Also let's us the 550 down equivalent instead of 450.

4.9*550=2695

5.4*700= 3780

So the Rab is 1.4x warmer?

Down puffy is one of my favorite pieces I own. Just gotta make sure to not keep it in the stuff sack like any other down piece. I lost loft in one and it didnt perform near as well after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back