PEAX Equipment

Dove hunt - felt like an elk hunt

Steelsearchin

Well, I finally got to feel like an elk hunter this week. Heavy pack, hot weather, and lots of sweat…

MI doesn’t have a dove season, so I finally made the trek down to Indiana where I’d been drawn for the second day of one of their managed hunts. I went down on opening day to get a feel for how the drawings go, and managed to pick up one of the last stand-by units that resulted from some no-shows.

Between decoys, lunch, 3 gallons of water for the dog, chair, shotgun, etc…I just needed some mountains to really get a feel for a “real” elk hunt…and maybe an 60# of elk meat on my back instead of 60#of gear/water.

Shooting began at noon and I was done at 3:30. Pretty cool for a first dove hunting experience, and I’m now hooked!

-tom

There was another tired dog behind the camera, taking a picture of my 10 year old V...

Tireddogsm_zps1fe47f1a.jpg

Congrats, Marinate the breasts Italian dressing overnight, wrap them in bacon and throw them on the charcoal grill!

Looks like a great public hunt. I've been eating dove breast for two nights in a row. I fry them and peal meat off with my finger nails and eat. Wash down with a little red wine or Pendleton whiskey. Yum yum.

Congrats, Marinate the breasts Italian dressing overnight, wrap them in bacon and throw them on the charcoal grill!

I did Cavenday's seasoning instead of the italian marinade, then made poppers with jalapenos and cream cheese, then wrapped in bacon. The kids each got some and the rest went to coworkers. They sure are delicious little buggers!

Ruffed grouse and woodcock are next on the list...one more week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back