Donating meat

Aussie_hunter_JD

G'day all,

I've been wondering what's the process, restrictions, requirements of meat donation, particularly in WY.

I'm hoping to get over in the next few years to hunt. Probably antelope and mule deer or antelope and black bear.

I love game but taking it home is simply not possible which leaves the option of donating it. Thing is I have no idea how this all works, am I able to keep some to eat while I'm there and donate some or do I have to donate the whole animal? What condition does it have to be in e.g. gutted skin on, quartered, deboned etc. Any other particulars to consider?

Thanks in advance.

I'll take the antelope, haha. Just kidding. I didn't realize we had a hunters for the hungry in wyoming, thats cool. You might also contact the WY Game and Fish regional office in whichever region you will be hunting.

I can’t speak specifically on the regs in WY but anywhere else I’ve been in the US has few restrictions on donating meat as long as it is tagged properly with all of the hunters information and/or carcass tag. As far as finding people who will take it I believe you’ll find plenty of willing participants just by asking around!

Years ago I hunted with an outfitter in Wyoming and you could donate your kill to a food bank, but you had to pay for basic processing.

Impossible to get the meat home? That’s not likely accurate. There’s a MeatEater episode where they spend a lot of time talking about flying with meat. You can of course drive with it for many days.

That said, I’d rather you give it to someone who appreciates it than take it home out of some sense of obligation, and never actually enjoy it.

Impossible to get the meat home? That’s not likely accurate. There’s a MeatEater episode where they spend a lot of time talking about flying with meat. You can of course drive with it for many days.

That said, I’d rather you give it to someone who appreciates it than take it home out of some sense of obligation, and never actually enjoy it.

Yeah... domestic not international

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back