MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Doin my research....

AKBound

Alright, Erik sent me a PM giving me a welcome when I came on board cuz I'll be moving to AK in the not to distant future. He gave me some advise on picking up a snow machine and 4-wheeler before I get there. I narrowed down the sled to bring and now I want some help from the Alaska guys.
1) What make and model of 4-wheeler should I bring with me, as I'm guessing Erik is correct in that I can get it cheaper here in Idaho than up there? For the terrain and conditions what is the best, most reliable, do everything I want it to machine?
2) I'm gonna buy a hand gun.... What should I get? I really don't need one here cuz there aren't any griz to speak of.
I'm sure these are gonna get a few different views but if I get started with some ideas that would help.
Thanks guys.

Well I don't have a snowmachine, I have an old 4 wheeler I have never used since I bought it, and I have a 22 pistol for plinking at rabbits.
Why??? Not much snow here on the island, I'm still young enough to hike where I need to go and I don't live in Anchorage so I don't need a sidearm for protection. :D

TB not only doesn't need his four wheeler, he could carry it on his back and still have to stop and wait for me on the trail :D

AKB--something in the 400/500 H.O. class with 4WD, independent rear suspension and a winch is a good balance of hauling power and agility on the trails. The bigger machines are more powerful for sure but if you really scrutinize the stats you'll see that the weight to horsepower ratio's on 700's and 800's is actually less than many of the lighter machines. You will be riding in the absolute boonies and you will eventually get stuck. Getting a 500 lb machine unstuck by yourself is NOT fun. Getting a 680 to 740 lb machine unstuck by yourself is damn near impossible. Also if you're looking at brand new my guess is getting one in Idaho will be cheaper--if you go used then its probably a wash. Bear in mind that there not too many places you can hunt off an ATV and the ones where you can see alot of them. Something to think about.

If you're looking to lay out 6 to 8 grand on a machine that will open up hunting and fishing opportunities consider a boat. 18 to 20 foot river sled with a 90 horse jet will get you a million more places in this state than an ATV will.

As far as pistols go, 44 Mag is the standard but 454 Casull and 45 Win Mag are popular too. Although not as handy to lug around, the best bear medicine is still a short barrelled, pistol gripped, 12 guage pump loaded with slugs. Some recommend a mix of 00 buck and slugs.

Thats why in I haven't bought a 4 wheeler either... I walk. Maybe I will wait on that on till I get there cuz I definitely will buy a used one.
Good idea on the boat. But I can't imagine I can get that cheaper here cuz we don't have any water to speak of like you do. I will check on a few prices and get back to ya and you can tell me if they sound like good deals. That (the boat) would probably have to be a new though.
TB. Wanna sell a 4 wheeler? Good thought on the pistol, never thought about the gang banger problem I would be getting into by moving to Anchorage.... Thanks for the heads up.

AKBound
I got the suzuki king quad 300 and really like it, nice and light but still plenty of power, and you can get used machines at a pretty decent price, same goes for a used boat in good shape. As far as side arm got the S&W 329 44 mag for bears and for Los Anchorage got a Tarus 2" 357 and the good thing about Alaska is you can carry concealed with out a permit.

Dont need no sticnkin snowmachine:D JUst get a bigger winch on an ATV. works for me. I just got back from King river, man thats a muddy slop down low and still about 18" up high. Needless to say the winch cable was used.

I have a 96 polaris 400, its not bad but its a 2 stroke. not to fond of the fumes to much anymore. My wife has an 88 bigbear 350. excellent machine. Its not gonna win any drag races but rock solid machine, both are 4X4's

Last fall, the yamaha shop had the bruin 350 4X4 on sale up here for $3999. really not a bad price for a new quad. Wishin now I woulda picked one up.

A boat is a real good idea. I've owned a few inflatables and there great. I wouldnt mind picking up a lund.

I hardly ever carry a hand gun in the bush. In town I carry a 1911. Today was a rare instance where I carried my 3" 629 in my shoulder rig. Usually I just tote a rifle whether riding or hiking.

Yeah, I've got a Yamaha Bruin 350 with a winch and plow. I use it all the time(I've got a pretty big driveway) I've also done quite a bit of scouting as well. Next year, we are looking into getting a boat. As for a handgun, I have my ever reliable Ruger P89 9mm for self/home protection. But when out in the bush, I usually take along my .44 mag.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back