Caribou Gear

Dogs in their prime

AlaskaHunter

Retrievers are typically in their prime from age 4 - 8 years.
At that age they handle so smoothly and have all the skills from experience hunting.
I train all summer long and subtle communication is important in upper level retriever games.

Most folks don't see this communication unless they handle retrievers, especially in lining.
For example, there is a stone on the ground just in front of the lab that is in line with the 3rd memory mark.
As the handler, I do not receive the bumper until the lab's focus it in that direction.
Then the lab's eyes are focused too far right a degree or so,
as the handler I silently move my right foot forward a few inches.
When the lab's focus is directly over that stone, I confirm with "Good"
which means he focus is on the correct direction.

So many tiny details in dog training that result in a well tuned dog.

I cringe watching some of these guys with theirs. From the dramatic handling to the animated “lawn mower” sends….it’s all atrocious if you have ever worked with a true dog handler.

So many tiny details in dog training that result in a well tuned dog.

I cringe watching some of these guys with theirs. From the dramatic handling to the animated “lawn mower” sends….it’s all atrocious if you have ever worked with a true dog handler.
Perhaps for a "true dog handler". Many of us are satisfied to shoot birds and not lose them. I get my enjoyment from watching my dogs enjoy themselves. There's always going to be some imperfection. As Plato pointed out, we know what perfection is but we also must accept that it is unobtainable. Doesn't mean we should stop working towards perfection ... but don't become obsessed with it either. I appreciate that competitive dog handling is a worthy hobby (or for a few, a viable vocation) but not for me. In fact, the more complex unorthodox retreives are the ones I find most rewarding. "There! By gawd she FOUND it!" Sometimes it's not picture perfect but I'm sure I could count on both hands the number of birds we've lost over the last decade ... and I shoot a LOT of birds ... every year.

Your technique posts are nevertheless very interesting for me, especially the mental interaction. The last two years I have encountered parties with expensive dogs at the bird refuge who marveled at my success hunting pheasants, especially with a dog from a garage floor litter. The key has been 1) live with her in the house, 2) hunt her alone 3) think outside the box (in this case, outside the Labrador retreiver box), 4) spend a lot of time in the field hunting, and 5) don't sweat the imperfections that don't matter. Yeah, some of them are annoying as hell (like running around the Jimmy exactly three times barking her head off every time I let her out to hunt), but as long as she's not doing anything that's dangerous or wrecks the hunting, no biggie. She gets me birds when no one else can find them. I can't ask for anything more than that. Well, I could but why?

The point of your thread, i.e. dogs never stop learning, is important. Many guys with hunting dogs think they must be completely molded as pups. My Lab Ellie really didn't come into her own until after age two. All the rest were doing it at age three to five months. You can teach an old dog new tricks. Forget that myth.

Here is a different lab in her prime picking up a quad.
There is handler communication not obvious to the casual observer.
The lab must focus on the mark until the handler silently pushes/pulls to focus on the next mark.

After retrieving the "go bird" mark, secondary selection to pickup the shortest mark.
Here "sit", "sit" and soft verbal release "EZ" as a cue to hunt short and careful.

The third mark is to the right side, so as the lab returns, verbal "side" to indicate
right side heeling to pick up that mark on the right. A more excited verbal release for the longer mark.

The fourth mark is longer and the lab must run by the old fall area of mark#2 so
"sit" to focus, wait for ears to perk up to indicate good focus, and an excited verbal send
to punch past the old fall of mark#2 to the longer mark#4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back