PEAX Equipment

dog training

quail hunter

So who else is training dogs this summer for bird season??
I'm currently training my shorthair not only to bird hunt but he has enuff shine I'm gonna run him in some NSTRA trials come Sept.
I'm down to getting him steady to wing and shot which is launching a lotta pigeons every weekend!
Its been a fun thing training dogs , I've probably learned more than the dog has!
I currently have a 2 year old english pointer and my little over a year old shorthair!
With one big runner and one close hunter I oughta have a good quail season.
So lets hear about your dogs!

I'm working on two black lab pups, 5 months old. Still early yet and they more than likely wont be rady for fall, but we'll see. Like you, I learn more than the dogs. Like next time I get a dog, I wont let Doc and the kids give it a stupid name.
rolleyes.gif
It's hard to be real serious during the sessions when you feel like a dork calling your dog.
yawn.gif

Sounds like fun to train labs, at least you get to see them do that power leap into the water, I had a cheasepeke in Elko for ducks and geese, did'nt train her just went hunting.
She did great and when I was sneaking in on geese she was sneaking right beside me!
funny stuff!
My last month there she retrieved 2 wood ducks, both males, and my friends were screaming not to let her but she brought both back in perfect condition.
So I'm wondering what that dumb name is?
5 months old you could still change it.
Good luck on your dogs!

I have a GSP bitch that i am training. She is 6 months old. I am not going to put her on any pigeons or other training birds before the season. I put her on some sage hens and chukar before the breeding season. She pointed them well.
We are working on yard work, retrieving. I might have been pushing things but I have already force trained her to retrieve. She was retrieving well before but now,,WOW!
Every once and a while we get around a game bird or a wild pigeon in a field, on our daily runs, and she points well. I am ready for the season to begin.
Ron

My GSP is 5 1/2 months and it looks like he's had enough gundog training for now
fbdf96a1.jpg

Seriously, I've been keeping it light. Manners, "happy timing" afield, come, etc. Will get into some birds, pigeons or otherwise, maybe this fall.

fbdff9a7.jpg

Her nameis Talulah. Thinking about a one or two sylable name. Wanted to name then Donnie and Marie since they are brother and sister, but got shot down on that one.

I usually participate in the German Shorthair Club of Idaho pointing dog training sessions every Thursday evening in Eagle, ID. We teach dozens of dogs and owners every week about being steady to wing and shot. We have homing pigeons, launchers and kill pigeons for people to use.

You don't have to have a Shorthair---any pointing dog is OK. No retrievers, though.

I'm enjoying this , I love talking bird dogs.
Idaho Ron
That dog sounds promising, what techinque did you use to force break?
Flytier
I can't even pronounce that name!I bet those twins are fun to watch!
Ithaca37
Any tricks on flagging? and also we have a dog that just keeps on going in, she had a tuff upbringing from her former owner so trying to be gentle, but seems like all the resets, bird launching, checkcord holding she just isn't holding point.
She is 2 years old and very sneaky about not letting you know when she gets scent,we have all summer and she is showing progress but man , she's a flusher!
any tricks or ideas I'll take"im all!
any tricks on the steady to wing and shot?
I'm just looking for just other ideas other than the norm!
Thanks

Flagging is usually lack of interest, but some dogs just aren't intense. Too many domestic birds can lead to lack of interest---it gets too routine and easy for the dog.

Steadiness is just a matter of good "whoa" training, and being able to read the dog when she's picking up scent when you start combining it with "whoa". Once a bad habit starts it's tough to break. Maybe you should see a pro and learn how to use a shock collar with his help. Get him to do the initial work on breaking the bad habit.

QH, I used the ear pinch. I have the book called POINT by james spencer. I have his other book on spaniels. She came through it very well.
I am starting to train her with my collar now. I started her conditioning this week. She did so well with the force training it was a snap. She will retrieve car keys, shotgun shells, wrenches. I have had her pick up everything. I used to take my spaniel to Archery shoots. He would go find arrows that were lost.
Ron

Wow Ron I don't have enuff confidence to try the force break, sounds like yours turned out great.
So what will you be chasing with your dog?
I'm hoping to come up this year for a chukar hunt and hopefully some pheasants.

Ithaca,
I've talked to pro's and basically a pro will keep the dog for 3 to 4 months, they are going to start from square one so when they give her back she is fixed if she can be fixed.
That if is the detterent.
Don't wanta use whoa to put her on point,everything I've read and been told no-no.
I believe she will come around its just gonna take time and alot of birds,
I just ask people that have alot of dog experience if they have any tricks,
by tricks I mean little shortcuts, training devices, techniques that they've used to help make it easier.
Experience is always the best teacher.

QH, I was a little worried teh first time I did it. All dogs are different and each go at their own pace. I just decided what the heck. I will do the same thing all over here soon with the E-collar. This will be the first time to do this with a collar. I figure that since she knows the stuff she will smoke right through it.
I will be hunting the same old thing. Sage grouse, Blue grouse, Ruffed grouse, Sharptail grouse, Chukar, hun's, Quail, and pheasant.
When you say flagging I assume she points but her tail stays in motion?
She sounds like she needs lots of wild chukar. Then go back to the training after she gets a bunch of wild birds under her belt. Just my .02
Ron

Right now not having a flagging problem, just looking for how to stop it in case.
We hunted her on wild birds all last season,
She was a flushing champ.
She is getting better ,hopefully we will get her by season start.

I am really hopping that it dosn't take long for mine to figure out she has to hold. She has done well so far but so far I have not shot any birds over her.
Ron

Ithaca 37 can you tell me a little more about this thing in Eagle. I live in Middleton and have a German Shorthair. She's not a bad dog but I definately need to work her more than what I do.

Back