Does anyone else do the pro tester thing?

SFC B

I am on my second major piece of equipment (pack and now sleeping bag) form ALPS mountaineering as a "pro tester". Do anyone else (excluding the real pros, sorry Big Fin) engage in any of these programs? I was wondering how anyother programs work and how folks like them gear vs hassle.

What is involved with the pro testing for companies like this? Supplying of product reviews, a certain level of marketing, field photography, social media, etc?

Good luck with it all, interesting for sure.

For me it involves some reviews at intervals and field photos in return for VERY reduced costs for the items. For each item they review your packet to see if you fit the demographic they want input for. I have to say the folks at ALPS are great to deal with and I ALWAYS get a real person on the phone and direct answers. They also seems like they really do get a crap about the input. So far the only other thing is the word of mouth I give. I couldn't be happier with the Commander bag and frame combo. Even at the +-$100 price anyone can get it at it is a SCREAMING deal. I will be interested to see how this sleeping bag does. It is from their Browning line and is a big -30 elk camp bag. Upon initial inspection it is BIG and comfy (and heavy :) ). The zipper is a bit cumbersome but will have to see how it works in the field. September will be my first season to give it a go.

These days, everybody wants to be an A list 'celebrity' in all walks of life, some hunters feel if they can put pro staff after their name it puts them into the 'important' category. I have read some reports from 'pro staff' hunters that seriously do not have a clue, and it shows. Free cheap/gear versus hassle, well that's what you have to weigh up.

I have a mate who is a very successful hunter that knows his stuff that used to be involved in a lot of reviews, ask him, and he will just shake his head and tell you more hassle. He used to go out of his way to help with promotion, simply because it is the type of person he is, his 'sponsors 'definitely' got their pounds of flesh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back