Do you use telemetry?

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that does not use locator collars on your dogs. I read about the old time houndsmen that somehow kept within hearing of their hounds or had little tricks to find them. Montigue Stevens used to have a dog with him that would lead him to the pack. Are there any of you hearty souls left out there?

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

I hunted hounds for many years before tracking collors.I bought my first telemetry system in 1985 and started hound hunting in 1970.I would never tern a dog loose without one now.We useto hunt dogs more then bear in them days.But I must say we had dogs in them days that new how to find there way out and be waiting for you on a coat or where they where dropped out.Dogs that couldn't home didn't have a home with us.I think a lot of todays hounds have lost there homing instincts from being pick up as soon as there out of the race.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

I shudder to think about hunting without a tracker,and all I do is coon hunt.The farthest I would probably have to run one down would be 5 miles.There is no way I would be chasing cats or especially bear without a TS.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

With the price of GOOD dogs today a fellar would be a fool to hunt without Telemetry these days. When I started I didnt have the luxury of telemetry and the stuff they had then was iffy at best or short range. I have saved miles of walking thru knee deep snow since the modern type tracking systems have emerged, and I dont know of any serious hunter or at least outfitters that dont use the tools of the modern day. I know a lion hunter Vern Phillips that is in his late 80's and he has hunted his whole life. He says its the best thing that ever happened to hound hunting. I tend to believe it. bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

I hunted for many years without tracking equip.I cant begin to think of how many times we left dogs in the woods.Took the next day off from work to look for them.Spent tons of money and time trying to find them.I had several that homed to point of start pretty well.as long as someone didnt pick them up first.I have lost 3 top dogs that I never found again.
One was a 5 yr old bluetick coon dog named Bravo.Tobey might remember him.he was a nt.ch with 4 wins towards grand.Lost him opening night in 82 on Parker Mt, tobey.Place where he had been hunted a hundred times.Never saw him again and never found out what happened to him either.
I wouldnt ,for any reason,turn a dog loose without a tracking collar on him now.It just isnt worth it.Several of my friends have the exact same box as I do.If mine should break I could at least get ahold of a box to find my dogs.If for some reason I had forgotten my collars,which has never happened,I would turn around and head home.
Like everyone else has said,No Way without them.

I too, hunted for years before tracking collars, and I cant imagine hunting without them now. They have saved countless hours and dogs for me! I dont worry about finding dogs and it really makes hunting them a lot more fun! Anyone ever had a collar taken off?? One time, 2 of my dogs ran a cat in to a small town near here, after a chase of a few miles. I was on foot and had went to my truck to cross a river and catch up. I got a signal in the edge of town that showed my dogs were right close , but I couldnt hear them and they didnt come to my calling. After about 3 hrs of circling on foot in town and asking everyone I saw, I found my collars up about 10 feet in a tree. No one knew anything about it!! I was ready to open up a can of Whipass, but couldnt find out who did it! An hour later my dogs came to my truck not far from where my collars were. I got lucky, and so did whoever took them off KW

Well....guess I am the odd man here.
biggrin.gif

Most all of my hunting is done by stepping outside, whistling to the dogs, and start walking..so I have not made the investment in a TS....However when we go over to Wisc. to run some bears, I do feel alot better when my buddy puts his spares on my dogs!...If I was driving somewhare to hunt all the time, I would deffinatly use them. You just get way too much time, and money into a dog to loose too many.

KW,

Great to see you back. Post some more pictures for us!

I have had collars taken off my dogs a few times. The one that really stands out in my mind was when I left a dog out overnight. I went back the next morning and could not find the dog for the life of me. I kept getting strong signals, first in one direction, then the other. After a couple of hours of this I finally found my collar in the middle of a creek under two feet of water. The dog showed up later in the day. I guess whoever took the collar off thought the water would short it out.

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

Back