Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do it all Rifle?

After looking and looking, I think I am sold.....Going to keep saving my pennies and get the Kimber Mountain Ascent. Now I just have to decide on caliber, and what teh difference is in the 84m and the 84L

After looking and looking, I think I am sold.....Going to keep saving my pennies and get the Kimber Mountain Ascent. Now I just have to decide on caliber, and what teh difference is in the 84m and the 84L

M is 8 ozs. lighter (4 lbs 13 oz) and only comes in .308. The L (5 5 lbs 5 oz) comes in 280 AI, 270, and 30-06.

I have a 6.5/284 HS Precision SPL topped with a G7 (Nightforce) scope and like it so much that I ordered another in 7mm mag and plan on setting it up the same way. I figured that I can get the same feel whenever I need the bigger caliber. Their SPL rifles shoot great and are of average weight. I also have a full custom 240 weatherby built on a predator action that shoots hole for hole when I do my part but is a little heavy to tote up the mountains. I have deer sized game at 890 yards with the 6.5 and have had no issues; but you have to have good conditions and the right gear to do it. I decided to go either a larger caliber for elk just to feel more confident. Confidence is the main thing you have to have no matter the caliber or make. I also believe that the scope is just as important as the rifle and I am not saying you have to have a $2000 and up scope but should get the best you can afford. I have had very good luck with leupolds VX-III; but switched because I like the reiticles in the G7.

I'd be very content hunting everything in AK with my older interarms mark X in 30-06. I wouldn't even think twice about a griz or even a brownie with the '06. That being said I have bigger calibers but they seem to be range queens if shot at all. I grab the 30-06 for all my hunting.

As we speak I have a tang safety M77 in 338winny on its way up, it better shoot dang good to replace the mark X, but we will see.

I for one, have spent way too much time and $ thinking about this topic in my years. I started with a 30-06 at age 12. I went through the magnums and they killed just fine with a lot of recoil.

I'm back to a 30-06. For me it's a Remington 700 with a Leupold 6x fixed. It kills sheep, goat, antelope, elk and deer dead. I've a couple back up 30-06's and a 300wsm that rarely get used.

I wouldn't care to live in a one rifle world. Many choices, more totally right than wrong, but it still boils down to the guy behind it in the end....

My current do all rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye In 30-06, custom work done to the trigger, stock, muzzle, and action. Wears a Leupold 2.5 x 8 x 36 VX-III. I have a number of loads, but use the 165 -180 grain bullets the most. I use Leupold Gold Ring 8x36 binos. Can't beat this set up for what I do.

If I found myself in grizz country and knew I was going there...........well 200 gr partitions all day long ;-)

I have shot a 7 mag for many years. I got my first one on a trade and went from there. It is a great caliber, but if I had it to do over again, I have to say it would be an '06. They have endured all this time for a reason-they just plain do everything well.

If I was going to buy one of the new-wave calibers, I think it would have to be a 300 wsm just for the compactness.

There are lots of calibers that will do it all. It is all about using a quality bullet. With the current selection of bullets, even a plain old .308 will do virtually anything the average guy needs.

THat's like asking what color hair does a pretty girl have? A do everything rifle is totally dependent on who is doing and what they call "everything". I know a guys who shoots prairie dogs with a .375 H&H because he enjoys it. I'm sure it would do everything over that. The point I'm trying to make is that there is never "too much gun" if you shoot it well. There can be too little gun or marginally enough gun and you could wind up with wounded animals which I'm sure none of us wants. Find a rifle you like either off the shelf or custom, develop or find a load that it shoots well and learn to shoot that rifle. I think you'll find it will do everything.

I have always thought rifles are not like shotguns. You can be a 12 gauge 3 inch and pretty much do everything with it that a shotgun is suppose to do. I always felt rifles no so much. If I was going to lean to anything I would want to have something that can take on some bone and still get the job done. I do believe there is something to be said for overkill BUT I am more concerned with ethically killing an animal after I pulled the trigger so for one gun to do it all I am going to be on the overkill side of things. Also, I have to take into consideration where I will hunt. Is it heavily wooded thick narly stuff like some of my old MN stomping grounds or more wide open country? Am I going to bu traveling great distances with this rifle or shorter tracks where weight is not as much as an issue. I really could not only pick one caliber but I could not pick one rifle. If I did have to choose just one I would be a bolt action 300wsm. I also really like the old .338 I used to carry. Right now, I actually mostly use one BUT it was gramps old Browning BAR in 7mm mag. Sweet shooting rifle with not much recoil.

I am partial to the good old 264 Winchester Magnum. Great for distance, exceptional sectional density, and enough punch for anything up to elk. I inherited mine and turned the simple 700 ADL into a lightweight do-all rifle. My next caliber for bigger game is the 8mm-06. I have the opportunity to work with a gunsmith to build it myself, so why the heck not.

I lean towards the 30-06 as the do all caliber. Bullet selection and oomph. As many have said bullet placement is key. A magnum and a flinch is worse than a .243 and a good shot. There are many that can shoot the big mags well though.

Monteman11, I have a Pre '64 model 70 in .264 and love that round. It's not for someone that doesn't hand load for sure.

Danr55 is right, cute gal blonde/brunette it all comes down to personal preference. Brunette for me.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 calibers. The .260 is capable far beyond what the paper says. My buddy has a heavy barrel and it is a great deer whacker.

I would start my search with finding the right caliber, after you figure that out the platform is easy.

Unless you want to hunt grizz, my vote would go to the 308 or 30-06. Cheap to practice with, tons of options for factory loaded rounds, rounds available at just about any gas station or bait shop, easy recoil.

If ammo availability/cost/recoil is not an issue I would look at the 300 WSM or 300 WM. I think the 30 calibers offer the widest range in bullet weights, and unless you are looking to sell pelts who cares if you shoot a coyote with a .308.

As far as rifles go. I really like my Tikka T3 stainless lite, Kimber 84L Select, and Weatherby MK5 Accumark. They all perform pretty much the same (1 MOA or less), but the T3 is the lightest of the three.

if grizz is what you are after,50 cal 5 shot,tripodmounted BMG,no question about grizz dieing if you hit him in the shoulder with a BMG round.

Back