MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

do big bucks tear up saplings

mdcrossbow

Following a rub trail of a known big boy.

I can follow this guy for a mile or more. Low lands and hill sides and small ridge tops he leaves behind carnage of busted saplings and hard hit 4"-6" trees. Most of the damage is done on small ridge tops that over look the low land and from one ridge top to another. He will stand up there and just rip saplings apart. I know that from past experiences that when hunting a low area and using a gut call and rattles a big buck will sometimes work the surrounding busting saplings and grunting to show his displeasure about the intruder. Last Friday was the cast on the farm in Va. My hunt was at the bottom of a ridge with a field 50 yards behind me and a ridge across from me, An area that was not previously hit hard, I know there was something happening on the hill but I could not see anything. Saturday after my hunt up on the other side of that ridge I check the top out and He was having a field day tearing up saplings. There were snapped sapling laid all around a 30 yard area and a fresh hit to a 4" er. I figure he was frustrated with me rattling and was not ready for any encounter as of yet. Seeing this kind of sign gets me pumped. For sitting all day'ers with out making any noise. Using a drag rope for doe estrus. and just plan old waiting him out.

Good luck on him X-Bow!

......waiting on the kill Pic's.

I always find it amusing when other hunters say that big boys only rub big trees.:confused:
Not nearly the case. They will rub small saplings, bushes, anything they choose, especially when they're pissed.|oo

Stay on him, I think your in his core area, and it's just a matter of time.hump

I always find it amusing when other hunters say that big boys only rub big trees.:confused:
Not nearly the case. They will rub small saplings, bushes, anything they choose, especially when they're pissed.|oo

Stay on him, I think your in his core area, and it's just a matter of time.hump

I've never heard it that way.
I have heard people say that a small buck wont rub a big tree......but big bucks will do both.

I few years ago I was hunting a big 12 point same situation but this guy made a horse shoe shape move around me all the while snapping branches making some kind of fuss. I heard 4 sticks break like some one taking a 2-3" dead stick and smacking it against a tree. After about 2 hours of this I got quite and 20 minutes later he came walking in from down wind. Cought me off guard as he made his way through the popular grove. I put a hit on him but never found the big guy. 6 of us searched 4-5 hours that night and I looked the entire next day. I was told a local ups driver found a big 12 down the creek about 1/2 mile away.
I'll be hunting again this Friday and Saturday. I can kill all the 120 and 125 class 8's in Md I want but this guy has given me a new desire to hunt. No corn , no trail cam just plan old hunting with high expectations and anticipation between me and him. Either way this turns out I'm having a great year.

Sounds like a GREAT time!! I do miss chasing whitetails with a bow...

I see no reason why a big buck wouldn't hit a smaller tree. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome!

PS- I'd accept any invite to take a whack at those 120" bucks with a bow! ;)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back