Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

DIY Walk In Cooler

dcopas78

Just curious if anyone on here has built their own coolers. It is something I've wanted to do over the last few years, and I will probably start on mine after the first of the year. I'm tired of being rushed in warm weather and not having the room in the fridge to allow for a proper aging of the meat I bring home. Also, it would help when I harvest my garden to allow more time for me to can/preserve/etc. I'm looking at building a rather small unit....probably 6'X6' or so...and using a CoolBot for the refrigeration unit. I've got some refrigeration panels here at work that were left over from a project we did a few years ago. I'm thinking about buying these off of the city since they are just sitting in storage right now. It would be real nice to use these if I can get them. They utilize a tongue and groove type fitting that would make it real nice to get them together. If that option fails, I'll probably just make my own with 2" rigid foam insulation from the hardware store. I've watched several videos and looked at several plans but I'm always open to suggestions. Hopefully I can post some pictures and keep the thread going with updates once I get started.

I’ve thought about it and having access to a walk-in is sure nice in the heat! Thankfully my employer has one I can use any time I want. Over the years I’ve seen quite a few large commercial fridges being liquidated as restaurants or grocery stores go out of business, if it ever comes time for me to need a walk-in I think I’ll be looking down that route. Not as big, but when the shelves are taken out and a custom hanging rack is installed you can hang whole deer sized animals in the things. Good luck, when you get it finished show us the end result!

I built a shop last year and have been methodically finishing the interior through the course of this spring/summer. Part of the space is a partitioned off area designated to be a walk in refrigerator.
Same plan for me... going to try the Coolbot. Testimonials are pretty convincing ,this device should work quite nicely in my 4' x 8' well insulated space. Looking forward to not being frantic when I bring an animal home. Usually it's either too warm out or too cold outside.
Looks like I wont have it up and running until next year...let me know how it works for you.

I built a shop last year and have been methodically finishing the interior through the course of this spring/summer. Part of the space is a partitioned off area designated to be a walk in refrigerator.
Same plan for me... going to try the Coolbot. Testimonials are pretty convincing ,this device should work quite nicely in my 4' x 8' well insulated space. Looking forward to not being frantic when I bring an animal home. Usually it's either too warm out or too cold outside.
Looks like I wont have it up and running until next year...let me know how it works for you.

Whats a hook going to cost for friends?

We retired a 7X12 enclosed trailer at work this year. I installed an AC unit in the front and spray foamed the heck out of the thing. I've got the coolbot sitting in the garage and ready to install when I get time. I need to put some kind of floor drain in for easy cleaning and a system for hanging quarters. 4 of us went in on it together so it's going to be quite affordable. I'll try to post some pictures once it's complete.

Definitely interested in seeing photos of these projects.

Good how-to videos on the coolbot website.

We retired a 7X12 enclosed trailer at work this year. I installed an AC unit in the front and spray foamed the heck out of the thing. I've got the coolbot sitting in the garage and ready to install when I get time. I need to put some kind of floor drain in for easy cleaning and a system for hanging quarters. 4 of us went in on it together so it's going to be quite affordable. I'll try to post some pictures once it's complete.
I'm planning on using unistrut and door hangers.....like the rolling hangers and rail used for barn doors. I'll probably have to get creative making a hook to put on the hanger but that's part of the fun of DIY. Lowes has the strut and rollers if you look on their website. Pretty reasonable.

I just finished putting the roof on my meat locker. I will try to post some pics of it later today. I built mine on skids as it is 8' x 16' with a 4' eve and once it is all finished it will look like a standard shed. I wanted a space to hang, age and process all in one with additional storage space in the front for gear that i can keep better organized.

I have to tear down an old shed and rebuild it off the lot line so I can get electric to it. It will be my woodshop 12' x 16', but I am going to put a wall mount AC unit. Planning on having a closable/insulated 4' x 4' closet in front of the AC. So in a pinch I can hang a deer in there and close the door. It won't have much capacity, but it will give me more time to process a deer if the weather isn't cooperating.

But first I have to tear down my existing shed. It will be a while before I get to the cooler.

Please post pictures of your project as it comes along.

pics of what I want to use for hangers...technically not unistrut but it looks like it lol

Attachments

• rail1.jpg
    rail1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4
  • hanger1.jpg
    hanger1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 4
I've heard of a few guys finding a small refrigerator semi trailer and just cutting the chassis off of it. Probably not as cheep as diy but that's my plan...some day.

I built mine last year and the only regret was not doing it sooner. I went with Coolbot and one of their recommended ac units. The system works great, seems energy efficient enough, gets down to temp quickly and stays around 33' . I followed their instructional videos for the most part, used two layers of 2" panels. I'm extremely happy with the outcome. I don't have pics readily available, but I believe I posted some last year if you search Coolbot threads.

post from last year.

I installed a beam lengthways through my space. I thought a 5' piece of black pipe with a double threaded ninety at each end that screws a in to a collar might work. Screw the collar at each end to the beam ...hook ready. Pure speculation.
I sprayed all my shop walls and lid so I had the guys do the cooler walls at the same time. Still might supplement more insulation. But seriously,shouldn't be too difficult to maintain 33 degrees.

Nice to hear about others projects.

If anyone is interested I have a set of panels from a walk in cooler that I am currently selling in the Cleveland OH area. You would need to pick them up, but they would be perfect for a project like this and I need them gone.

Message me for details

A little follow up.
Got my walk in cooler up and running finally.
I had my 4' x 8' x 7' space within my shop with 2 x 4 walls sprayed with closed cell...about 2". Installed 2" foam board over all surfaces to include the slab.
Purchased a 12000 btu a/c unit and hooked up the coolbot.
Works like a charm. Got the first critter in there a couple days ago. A few minor gadgetry adjustments but otherwise good to go.

Attachments

• 20201021_110108.jpg
    20201021_110108.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • 20201021_110129.jpg
    20201021_110129.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
A little follow up.
Got my walk in cooler up and running finally.
I had my 4' x 8' x 7' space within my shop with 2 x 4 walls sprayed with closed cell...about 2". Installed 2" foam board over all surfaces to include the slab.
Purchased a 12000 btu a/c unit and hooked up the coolbot.
Works like a charm. Got the first critter in there a couple days ago. A few minor gadgetry adjustments but otherwise good to go.
Very nice! I still haven't been able to get started on mine other than clearing out the location I want it and a little bit of the framework. The 'rona has kinda gotten in the way of that this year. I've been much busier this year with work than I anticipated, but things are starting to slow down so maybe I'll get the time to do it over the winter.

I'm doing the same thing. I wong get to mine until next spring/summer. Looking forward to ideas. I'm planning about 10x10 or so with a drain.

I will be getting into a new house in the spring with a 24x48 shop. I already have insulation, CoolBot, and ac unit purchased for my future walkin. I am thinking about adding a 6X8 lean to off the back of the shop to house the walk in cooler. The main reason for that is the floor is heated in the shop and I don't want to be fighting the heating with cooling

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back