DIY Maine moose

The september week is usually the best week for the full blown rut.The only bad thing about moose huntin this time of yr is we still have pretty warm weather.We generally pack coolers full of block ice....duck tape them shut and fill the moose full when you get him loaded.Get that body temp down.Its also much easier to load them on a snowmobile trailer than into a truck body.My neighbor has a good butcher shop too.I'll pm you my phone # an we can shoot the shit some evenin.

A DIY Maine moose hunt is very doable. In 2002 my brother drew a tag in unit 10. At the time I was in grad school at UMaine, so we hunted by ourselves. We had a couple of days before the season to scout. We just used a ME topo atlas and cruised cuts in our area. He got a respectable 36" bull the first day of the season. I have worked in the field across the northern part of the state and moose were generally available if you put the time in to find areas with sign and visibility. Access is not an issue in the north. One word of caution, some of the recently added areas on the coast are another issue, access can be harder to get and moose densities are lower. A friend drew area 25 this year and tried the same hunt. They were able to get access to private property but didn't see a moose in a week of hunting. They only hunted a week and had some weather issues. Overall I would definately look at the unit drawn and overall expectations on a bull when deciding to try it solo.

Hey Mtlion....I'm headed down the deep south for a few mths to work.....I'll catch ya when I get back.....maybe we can both get drawed.:D

Hey Mtlion....I'm headed down the deep south for a few mths to work.....I'll catch ya when I get back.....maybe we can both get drawed.:D

Sounds good. Good luck to you. I guess if I'm drawn it'll be like getting struck by lightning...Shocking! :D

Zone 4

New to this site so just going through some threads. I dont know how you made out but if you didnt get drawn keep trying, as Mainiac said September is better for the rut but October is still good. I would suggest zone 4 the success rate is very high, if you ever get drawn contact me and I can set you up with a logging camp by Baker lake, the loggers and the foresters love to give advice on what they have been seeing and where.
check it out on facebook mountain brook guide service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back