DIY Game Pack Bag Ultralight.

Sytes

As some may know I get my rocks off trying to build items thought to be useful for my hunting. Some ideas friends share to see if I am able to make such items fitting something they feel would be useful or my own frustration at outdoor extreme rip off pricing...

Sometimes, the multiple build attempts to make an item becomes a build that costs more to craft than the extremely over priced market item. Though once created, I gain a good sense of satisfaction.

Thus sharing these items will hopefully allow you to replicate (with your own fine touches, of course) w/o the multiple reconstructing endured. Also, sharing such finds interesting contributed ideas that improve upon the basic prototype shared.

I would like to stress, I share these FREELY for your own personal use. If you have thoughts to profit from my conceptual ideas, please get in touch with me as I am not opposed to such though I would love my piece of the pie. :)

Background for this idea. I often find myself hiking into the woods with my shoulder strapped hip pack and have occasionally had to make a very rough and crude method to pack out one trip of game meat taken while in the field without my backpack, game cart. A friend brought this idea to my attention and asked if I could make something to fit this need. Having experienced this myself, I figured, "Hmmm, ya... that is a good idea. I'll see what I can do." Well, my wife was pretty sick so in an effort to be there with her, I found this project to be a perfect fit while still fully attending to her.

Here it is from basic raw form to prototype creation, ready for field testing. There are loops on the inside of the vest that one may use to attach to the hip belt or pant belt/loops to keep the vest even while carrying differing weights within the front and rear "Kangaroo Pouches".

I had some double wall ripstop 3.5 oz per square yard material from my pack wall tent - figured this a great material to use:

I started using a t-shirt I had as a rough idea for shape and size plus some extra for going over hunting clothing, etc.:

picture.php

Gave a rough - though shoulder lined neck slot:

picture.php

Folded up the length on both ends to make what I refer to as my "Kangaroo pouches" and sewed in 1" flat webbing straps (crappy picture, apologies):

picture.php

Here is a more detailed photo of the raw 1" flat webbing sewn from the external view:

picture.php

Here is a more detailed photo of the finished and reinforced 1" flat webbing strap:

picture.php

This is a finished photo of the clip connected to the rear clip for the rear "Kangaroo Pouch".:

picture.php

This is a top view with stitched collar and reinforced shoulder area:

picture.php

This is the full front view - The rear is the same lined up from the shoulder line Front and rear "Kangaroo Pouch" - the clips attach at the same height basically below the pec muscle line.:

picture.php

This presents the rolled up unit length wise using my hat to give an idea of the length:

picture.php

And Height using my USB flash drive:

picture.php

This item weighs approx 8 ounces. It can easily stash inside a hip pack or strap to the outside of a hip pack... This will carry however much weight you feel you are able to manage AND you are still able to wear your hip pack, shoulder straps and all... Or simply, if I went without anything (I am not one to do such as I love my emergency items, etc...) it is an easy enough item to stuff into my pocket! It is that pack-able and light weight.

Anyhow, for what it is worth... consider it my poor man's copyright dated and timed by this post. :)

Last edited:
Cool idea! But you know you can't post pictures like this without a follow-up this fall of it in action.....

Have you had a chance to put some weight in it and try it out? I'm assuming you'd want to balance the front and rear load about equally, or it may slide forward or back and the material around the neck hole may chafe against your skin...?

Does it come in ASAT or Kryptek?!?! :rolleyes:

...on a more serious note, nice job thinking outside the box again, this is definetly a handy item to have when you are taking a minimal pack out in the field.

Cool idea! But you know you can't post pictures like this without a follow-up this fall of it in action.....

Have you had a chance to put some weight in it and try it out? I'm assuming you'd want to balance the front and rear load about equally, or it may slide forward or back and the material around the neck hole may chafe against your skin...?

I hope to try it out come spring bear season. Least that is a hope... :)

There are loops on the body side of the two pouches positioned to adapt to straps around a belt, hip belt or even belt loops. Figured this way the bag would not slide backward nor forward due to the front and rear waist attachments.

I like the idea of having weight snug to the body on the front and back side. Never been a fan of two shoulders or ham and antler head only on my back. Distributing the weight will help with balance at least that is what my pre-test mental thought tells me:) I'll share the pics if/when the time comes.

We will see how it plays out.

Nice handywork, Charles. Any thought of adding a strap in the hip area to shift some weight off the spine?
A horizontal cinch type strap at the hip or vertical loops as described above? I'm not really sure how to reduce weight on the spine unless able to fit it to an actual pack frame.

Also to note, the photo of the cut out collar area is a "raw" or rough starting view. The finish view is sewn.

Here are the specs for the material used:
Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric Specifications:
Warp - 58
Fill - 42
Total Weight - 3.7 oz/sq yd
Coating Weight - 0.75 - 1.0 oz/sq yd
Spray Rating, Initial AATCC-22 - 80-100
Breaking Strength Grab Method, FTM 5100 lbs - Warp 200, Fill 150
Initial Flame Retardant to CPAI-84 - Pass
Tear Resistance Tongue Method ASTMD-2261, lbs - Warp 14, Fill 12
Figure for that first round of packing out meat solo, trekking around with a simple hip pack, this would reduce a 3rd possible trip - boned out(?) for elk and probably knock out a deer in one trip - for carrying an approximate 8 material ounces.
I have tried it with 40 lbs in each pouch up and down the stairs w/o any sewn or material integrity issues, least that could be seen. It was good rehab/exercise! :) Time will tell when packing out a few miles and I am hoping a two legged mule will be along to wear the vest for the actual testing... eh, Not it!

Last edited:
I recall banding those in a garage then riding my bicycle out @ 5am throwing them with precision I only wish I had for archery season... :D ...

Back