DIY Audad Hunt

My guess is a son & father from Texas went hunting after them in the Davis Mountains when they were first brought in from Northern Africa. After the youngster's tough but successful hunt and pack out. The father turns to him and tells him now it's my turn son. The son's comment to the father "Awe Dad"!

The origin of aoudad is French and evolved from the Moorish term audad. The Moorish term does not have a meaning distinct from wild sheep so appears the word was created to describe wild sheep. Aoudad are closer to being goats than sheep but that is another matter.

There are over the counter Barbary tags available here in New Mexico that allow you to hunt from April to March of the following year. Granted the areas that you can hunt with OTC tags have fewer animals and is usually a tougher hunt but what the heck, you have a freaking year to figure it out.

The draw hunts allow you to hunt the entire month of February. These hunts typically hold more animals and the odds of finding a bigger "trophy" class type is probably better. Trophy class IMO is all in the eye of the beholder though.

In the grand scheme of things the prices are not to bad for out of state hunters. OTC tags $360.00 and draw tags are $380.00.

I'll be happy to provide any intel I can. I will be out chasing these boogers in a few days so I will be able to give you some fairly up to date info as February progresses.

Back