DISTANCE question...

Moosie

Grand poopa
Here's the senario....

sitting in a field and there is a house 500 yards away. You're shooting a 3 1/2" T shot...

1. Shooting straight ahead of you how far could you efectively kill a goose ?

1A. how far till the BB's hit the ground.

2. AT a 45 Deg. angle, HOW far to effectivly kill a goose ?

2A. How far till the BB's hit the ground.

3. Is ther ANY way to hit the housae at 500 yards away ?

4. 3" #2's ...... (ALL the same above questions....

I don't have a shotgun area so I'll post it here ... :confused:

Interesting question there Moosie. I bet a lot of guys (myself included) have probably thought this in one way or another. Several years ago, a buddy and I did an experiment to find the distance a .357 slug would go. What we did was get a range finder and a stop watch and fire over a lake. We knew roughly how fast the bullet would travel so we used the time it took the bullet to drop times the speed of the bullet to come up with the distance, and used the range finder to confirm our findings. Well, it didnt work so well over water because the bullett was going too far to see. So we went to the desert to a crater and did the same thing. We could easily see the dust from the bulle to know when it hit. But shooting down hil will not give you an accurate finding, but close.

So if you know the speed of the shot, just shoot over water and time the shot till it hits. Take the feet per second (of the shell) times the time from when you pull the trigger (in seconds) till the shot hits the water. That will give you your distance.

Next week if I get time, and I'm sure I will since you peaked my interest, I'll go try this with a shotgun. All I'll need to fnd out is the feet per second of each shell.

Who says HT isnt educational?

i will make a guess ....3 1/2 is about100-125

3" is about 100 yrds

i didnt have a range finder but i did this at the river

found out my hand loads did better than factory loads

Flytier - do you take into account that the shot is slowing down as soon as it leaves the barrel? It may be advertised as giving 1350 FPS (the new Hi-speed loads for upland game), but at 50 yards may only be going 1100 FPS and may be down to 900 FPS at 100 yards. (Numbers for illustration purposes only - it may slow down even faster than that.) The rangefinder method would work better, I think.

We thought about th deceleration but didnt know how t figure it, so we used a range finder also and both were within about 3 feet, so it was close. Plus we were shooting straight but the shot was hitting below us because we were on the rim of a big crater. We also knew that the elevation would affect it too, but didnt know figure that either. But I'm sure we were fairly close, though it would be interesting to know exactly how much we were off.

Shot is like 1250 fps or 1400 for the high velocity. I think, 3.5 inch just has more pellets, not more velocity. So, the 3.5 T would be a lot of heavier pellets, like a 3 inch BB in number of pellets, but you would have the advantage of them being T instead of BB. I think its very difficult to kill a goose at 50 yards. 500 yards on a house is out of range but I haven't tested it. I would do the test on a flat water pond or small lake or something, because you could maybe see the splash.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-23-2002 12:39: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back