Displaying sheds

WATERMAG

How are you guys displaying you matched sets of whitetail sheds? Pictures would be great!!

Couple ideas i got looking around is a reproduction skull (not a fan of this idea), are tying them together with some paracord and hanging them over a nail.

I have my singles antlers on a shelf made of old barn wood.

I really like shelves. I use a stiff plastic coated wire attached to the shelf to help keep the antlers from falling. This allow me to put a lot of antlers in a small space.

Attachments

• 101_0010.jpg
    101_0010.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 597
Lights were for Christmas, but they might stay.
14v7jYI.jpg

It's not a white tail, but we do it like this. Skull hand made with Type L hard drawn copper tubing.

20181228_153912_resized.jpg 20181228_153927_resized.jpg 20181228_153936_resized.jpg

If you have a set of sheds that mean little to you, you can glue them to a rock and hang them over a nail with a leather shoe lace. Sometimes you get something that has a special meaning even though it isn't necessarily a trophy. Those you can turn into a work of art.

One morning my son said to me, "Let's go find some moose sheds!"

I've hunted this area of Idaho many years and never found moose sheds, and he thinks we are going to pick some up this afternoon?

Thirty minutes driving and 1/2 hour walking and I find a moose shed on a ridge. I need to stick with this kid, he's good luck.

Six hours later after beating our way through pine, mahogany and sage brush there is still no other side. Then he says, "There is a bunch of black hair here on the side of the hill. I'm going to follow it down because I think it is moose hair." Yep there is the other moose shed. Unfortunately the antler is laying next to the moose that had died that winter. So my boy rolls the stinky skull into a tarp and throws it into his pack.

When we got home he decided to remember our trip that day by making a moose skull from carbon steel exhaust tubing and mounting the antlers to it. He even made it so we can lift the antlers right off in seconds and fondle them if we wish.

It's not a big moose, but it is fond memory.

20180616_155550.jpg

Chew toys are hard to keep around for this one, so she usually gets the deer sheds.
C8679C14-4BB0-4CC0-9D9E-A393853ECFBA.jpg

The brown set of moose sheds i have are like this. Nothing fancy but better than laying in the garage.

7BEC1D68-8DFA-4019-912E-4118904E4118.jpg

Those turned out great Heyoldguy but I have to ask why the work was done from tubing and not sheet? I can see the reasoning for the copper but not the steel. Whatever the reason, great job!

Those turned out great Heyoldguy but I have to ask why the work was done from tubing and not sheet? I can see the reasoning for the copper but not the steel. Whatever the reason, great job!

Thank you very much. I'll try to make a long story shorter.

My son and I have built high performance automobile engines and have been a few auto magazines. He has built all our own headers, our exhaust systems and exhaust systems for other's custom cars. As an avid shed hunter he wanted to display the antlers he found in a way that would better show them in a more natural setting rather than hanging on a nail or pulling them out of a box and holding them out for you to see. He settled on the European type look. As he was used to working with exhaust tubing, the tubing was a natural place to start rather than a sheet of metal as maybe a body man would have done. Therefor tubing is his medium. The steel, that can be mig welded, is far easier to use than the copper for which he uses tig, and he can heat treat steel or stainless steel to produce a variety of colors from straw and brown to blues and purples.

He has also reproduced deer and elk antlers from the exhaust tubing, as seen here with a dead head he reproduced.

Skulls II 115.jpg

With his system you can even take a favorite old decaying and cracking antler with moss and lichen and produce a very aged looking steel skull that makes a unique piece of art. It's really more about art than antlers I guess. Yet he makes skulls the antlers can be removed, handled and placed firmly back on the skulls in seconds.

Most of my sheds are stacked in the rafters of the barn or hanging on the woodshed.

My wife is an artist, so she does small moose antler sheds with painting on birch bark,
then fused glass art in the foreground.
moose_antler_shed.jpg

moose_antler_shed2.jpg

moose_antler_shed3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back