Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Digital Maps and Geospatial Data for Hunting

Chris D

I see quite a few people ask questions about digital maps, apps, or gps maps and as a Geospatial Engineer I believe you can never have to much Geospatial data or programs. I use the OnxMaps App as well as the chip that I can transfer between my GPS and computer. Another overlooked item for your GPS is imagery that you can download called Birdseye and it's offered thru Garmin. I also use Google Earth Pro (Free Download) and download geodatabases and shapefiles for ESRI applications.

I'm a "map guy" too. Twenty years as an Air Force navigator will do that to you. I also use Onyx maps, to include imagery. I also found an app called "PDF Maps". You can download 1:24000 maps, USGS imagery with countours, as well as Motor Vehicle Usage maps. It also links to your gps so it works great for finding two tracks and forest roads for planning how to gain access to areas. I have to confess I also use our mission planning software with digital terrain data and an inter visibility layer to determine glassing locations (I can pick a spot and viewing height and it shades areas that are in view, not accounting for vegetation). I usually spend hours scouring maps and imagery to plan a hunt.

Thats a pretty good game plan you have. Yeah there is a free Avenza pdf app that also does what you you are doing with the usgs maps and MVUMs. I have loaded more systems with Falconview that i can count so it's pretty cool to see that you use that. Army pilots used to use it as well.

All the stuff I see from GPS file depot is old. I use GE Pro and add in the OnX Plat4GE then add in Earthpoint topo. I used to use Esri's topo server but it can be finicky. Lots of stuff from the forest service gis dept for the subject hunt area; fire, water, vegetation, etc if you want to get right into it.
If you want raster based topos you can create your own custom kmz maps. For sat imagery or really big raster topo's you can hack the gps bios to open up the birdseye folder and create .jnx maps. I use TopoFusion a bunch as it downloads topos. sat, and other map types to my laptop so I don't need internet. From TopoFusion, I then export the topo or sat to my gps and if the map exceeds the gps tile limit, I use mapc2mapc to convert the tiled .kmz to .jnx and drop it into the birdseye folder on my gps sd card.

The Avenza PDF Maps app for smart phones is pretty easy. They have quite a bit of free map content like topos, MVU maps, and imagery with countour lines.

Onxmaps is also a good, easy to use options. You can get a subscription for smart phone/iPad or a mini SD card for your gps. I've used it on my iPhone and iPad for about 5 years now. They have added a lot of overlays that are pretty easy to use. Their website has a lot of "how-to" videos that show you how to use their maps. I've heard their customer service is also really helpful.

Hope this helps.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back