Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Dies?

Addicting

I am in the market to upgrade set of RCBS dies.

I’ve got basic FL Hornady and Lee on the bench already. Each has a bad attribute I don’t like. The threading isn’t tightly machined and they have lots of slop.

I liked the RCBS machining but hate it when I get a stuck case in them. As the design doesn’t allow you to drive out the case.

I am leaning towards moving to a bushing type 3 die set. Redding/Forster/Wilson

What’s the good, bad, and ugly about them. Also best place to buy them.

Midsouth Shooters Supply might be a good spot. Or eBay seller blackherron.

If you size without an exander assembly in place it's a lot easier to remove a stuck case by sticking a 1/4 inch or larger bolt thru the top and tapping/whacking it out. Happened to me once because I was forgetful.
Step 1 deprime
step 2 size
Step 3 expand

I’m a big fan of the Redding bushing dies. They work great and are very well made. The competition seating die is awesome also. Can’t go wrong with Redding IMO.

I’m a big fan of the Redding dies as well. I would go with the standard FL bushing sizer and the competition seater instead of the 3 die set. The seater is pretty pricy but it sure makes things easy

I love my RCBS dies. Your issue reads as user error, instead of a die issue.

100% correct, I was chasing a problem with some ammo I loaded not allowing the bolt to close. I noticed a bulge in the neck of a few cases I was having issues with. I was trying to resize them again to see if I could remove it after I readjusted the die. I was thinking about that and didn’t lube the case enough.

That was my second stuck case and this time I ended up having to drill out the case when I bugered up tapping the case. Consequently, I marred the inside ruining it.

Now I have to buy a new FL die anyway and am looking to upgrade.

I’m a big fan of the Redding dies as well. I would go with the standard FL bushing sizer and the competition seater instead of the 3 die set. The seater is pretty pricy but it sure makes things easy

That is what is in my shopping cart at Brownells. Just having a hard time with the price tag.

I know the feeling. Buy once, cry once....

I measured out my brass to add the bushings to the cart. Because I have 3 different kinds of brass I need 3 different bushings. Good thing is they have 10% off today with free shipping. With the total it’s like buy 2 get one free.

Get the regular seater, remove the stem and buy the micrometer part off eBay for around $35 or so plus a bit to ship. AND TAX. DON'T FERGIT THE TAX.

The Redding dies showed up in yesterday’s mail. First look, they are well constructed. Looking forward to see if using these bushing dies tighten things up a little more.

I stopped doing business with Wilson after getting into it with the new partner. I like the IDEA of being able to size all the way to the shoulder with the Forster, but their bushings aren’t as common, aren’t interchangeable, and off the top of my head, I don’t think they’re as cheap. It’s hard to beat Redding without going full custom.

I was tinkering around with the dies this morning. The previously RCBS sized once fired Nosler cases measured from .288 to .286.

I took the expander from the Redding die and put in a .287 bushing. The handful I did were coming out the same at .286. Looking forward to seeing this transition to a target.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back