MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Did you get hurt?

Otto Matic

We (the wife and me) are snowbirds. Summer in OK, winter in south Texas.
Didn't work so good last February, March!
Our south Texas retreat reached 15°F two days in a row. Heavy icicles hung from the eaves and our heating unit couldn't get the house above 61°F.
Thank goodness, the house has a fireplace though we still had to go purchase a chainsaw! LOL!

BUT.....

in OK, the temps dipped as low as -12°F, 5 foot snowdrifts and the cold hung around for TWO SOLID WEEKS of sub freezing temps! 😳!
Sub zero temps are not all that uncommon in southern Oklahoma.
What is unprecedented is a hard, two week long "deep freeze".
The burford holly's along the south side of the house, normally unfazed by the cold, have dead limbs sticking out of them.
My blackberries froze back, reducing production. My pear trees and pecan trees bloomed but did not set fruit.

Did your area experience the "deep freeze"?
Did it affect your fruit tree production?

We (the wife and me) are snowbirds. Summer in OK, winter in south Texas.
Didn't work so good last February, March!
Our south Texas retreat reached 15°F two days in a row. Heavy icicles hung from the eaves and our heating unit couldn't get the house above 61°F.
Thank goodness, the house has a fireplace though we still had to go purchase a chainsaw! LOL!

BUT.....

in OK, the temps dipped as low as -12°F, 5 foot snowdrifts and the cold hung around for TWO SOLID WEEKS of sub freezing temps! 😳!
Sub zero temps are not all that uncommon in southern Oklahoma.
What is unprecedented is a hard, two week long "deep freeze".
The burford holly's along the south side of the house, normally unfazed by the cold, have dead limbs sticking out of them.
My blackberries froze back, reducing production. My pear trees and pecan trees bloomed but did not set fruit.

Did your area experience the "deep freeze"?
Did it affect your fruit tree production?
I feel like the gulf south was the only part of the country that didn't turn into an ice cube this winter. Was still fairly cold here though. I only have a fig tree, two loquat trees, and a sweet orange tree. Orange tree bloomed too early and lost its butt this year, only carrying about twenty percent of what it should be. Others are fine and the blackberry crop is outstanding this year.

Interesting to me is the stories of all those hunting places in the hill country that lost lots of exotic animals in the freeze. That is pretty wild to think about.

I was blown away by the numbers of palm trees that froze.

Neighbors that lives in OK told me he found lots of dead birds. Grackles, starlings, etc.
Turkeys appeared to be pretty hard hit too. We didn't find any dead turkeys, but the population seemed to be down.
His uncle also raises blackberries for market. His production is way down.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back