Did Colorado Break the Elk Bank This Year?

Never hunted Colorado, and probably never will. As an outsider who doesn't hunt there, it sounds like the general opinion of CO elk tags might drop and reduce interest/pressure. Seems apparent that CO elk tags might be headed into a dark era for a number of years.

Hunt/wildlife quality CAN be somewhat self correcting a lot of the time. Sounds like any golden era or good ole days are long, like so many other states/situations across several states.

Depending on a lot of other variables, this trend could also lead to a nice uptick years down the road.

I was born and raised in sw Colorado and over the years I have noticed a decline in elk numbers over the past few years. Have also talked with game and fish they have said that there is definitely a decline in elk numbers but can’t give a reason. I have my own theories like to much hunting pressure in the rut and winter range becoming over populated. Just my opinion

NR here, been to SW CO twice and this year will be my third. In my opinion, heard health should be the #1 priority. I have not tagged out but have seen quality elk both times while hunting... but not by the road, trail or trail head. I am a flat lander who lives at 83 feet above sea level so it takes me a few days to get going out there. For a DIY, the current tag cost is at that sweet spot for a NR which I can justify to do frequently with the cost of travel, lodging, etc.. Doubling or tripling the fees might persuade me to go or do something else. But it's not my state so I really don't have a say.

I will say that from my limited experience, public land down low as well as trail heads up high do get crowds... although that is relative compared to public lands in the east so I see some crowds and hunting pressure but only if you are within 1/2 mile of a road/trail. I averaged 60-80 miles for a 8 day hunt and in my view it's a quality hunting opportunity even though I haven't been successful. I have seen some limited trash at the trail head parking (and have packed out other's trash to do my part) once i get out there it's been pretty pristine and rarely see others.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back