Caribou Gear Tarp

Did a stupid thing

Having right knee scoped on Tuesday. No running for me. Just hoping to be ready for chasing elk come fall

Man I miss being able to run.. Because of neurological issues after my brain cancer I haven't been able to, I'm just grateful to be able to walk again.. (Wasn't sure if that would happen.)

However, I love to see you guys out there tearing it up.. Keep it up for those of us who no longer can..

Nice work! I am signed up for a 26k w/4k ft of elevation gain/loss in late June. It will be rough. It also makes me reconsider those weekday beers.

Jemez Mountain 50k was my first. I got passed in the last 10 miles by about half the 50 mile pack. It was a great time. I did a few others as well. My least favorite is the time format. I did 60 miles in a 24 hour 2 mile loop event in Dallas. Once was enough for me on that. Congrats on the finish. One of the things that helps me is I always carry a laminated copy of Marshall Ulrich's 10 commandments of endurance (I have a genuine problem accomplishing #2):

10. Expect a journey and a battle–

“Life is not always simple. Don’t think that it’s just going to be smooth and not a rocky road. Accept that in your mind and then you can deal with things.”

9. Focus on the present and set intermediate goals—-

“Don’t get too far ahead of yourself. Just stay in the present. If you’ve got some sort of problem…just deal with that. Take a deep breath and solve that one problem and then you can go on to others.”

8. Don’t dwell on the negative–

“I think it helps to step outside of ourselves and not live in our own space or our own head too much. Look at what’s happening out there and focus on even problems of the world or other people. It kind of takes that focus from ourselves.”

7. Transcend the physical–

“If you’ve got an injury, say you’ve twisted an ankle and you want to keep going–providing you’re not doing damage to yourself–take that focus off that ankle. You can keep going as long as you don’t get locked into thinking about it continuously. You can transcend that physical aspect.”

6. Accept your fate—

“Just accept it for what it is and take it one step at a time.”

5. Have confidence that you will succeed—

Recall experiences, “where you’ve had success in the past. It will give you confidence to go beyond what you normally thought you could.”

4. Know that there will be an end—

“There will be an end and we can go on to more fertile soil.”

3. Suffering is okay—

“That’s the human condition. We’re all going to suffer on one level or another.”

2. Be kind to yourself—

“If you’re running and you need to walk a little bit. That’s okay. Know that you have weaknesses just like anybody else.”

1. Quitting is not an option—

“Everybody is going to think about quitting. I think about quitting. But you can’t let it overwhelm you. You can’t let it stop you from your success. And if you frame it in that way–that quitting is not an option–I think that’s the best thing to do.”

Jemez Mountain 50k was my first. I got passed in the last 10 miles by about half the 50 mile pack. It was a great time. I did a few others as well. My least favorite is the time format. I did 60 miles in a 24 hour 2 mile loop event in Dallas. Once was enough for me on that. Congrats on the finish. One of the things that helps me is I always carry a laminated copy of Marshall Ulrich's 10 commandments of endurance (I have a genuine problem accomplishing #2):

10. Expect a journey and a battle–

“Life is not always simple. Don’t think that it’s just going to be smooth and not a rocky road. Accept that in your mind and then you can deal with things.”

9. Focus on the present and set intermediate goals—-

“Don’t get too far ahead of yourself. Just stay in the present. If you’ve got some sort of problem…just deal with that. Take a deep breath and solve that one problem and then you can go on to others.”

8. Don’t dwell on the negative–

“I think it helps to step outside of ourselves and not live in our own space or our own head too much. Look at what’s happening out there and focus on even problems of the world or other people. It kind of takes that focus from ourselves.”

7. Transcend the physical–

“If you’ve got an injury, say you’ve twisted an ankle and you want to keep going–providing you’re not doing damage to yourself–take that focus off that ankle. You can keep going as long as you don’t get locked into thinking about it continuously. You can transcend that physical aspect.”

6. Accept your fate—

“Just accept it for what it is and take it one step at a time.”

5. Have confidence that you will succeed—

Recall experiences, “where you’ve had success in the past. It will give you confidence to go beyond what you normally thought you could.”

4. Know that there will be an end—

“There will be an end and we can go on to more fertile soil.”

3. Suffering is okay—

“That’s the human condition. We’re all going to suffer on one level or another.”

2. Be kind to yourself—

“If you’re running and you need to walk a little bit. That’s okay. Know that you have weaknesses just like anybody else.”

1. Quitting is not an option—

“Everybody is going to think about quitting. I think about quitting. But you can’t let it overwhelm you. You can’t let it stop you from your success. And if you frame it in that way–that quitting is not an option–I think that’s the best thing to do.”

#7,#3,#1 Have led me to many of doctors appointments lol. That man is a beast.

Dang! Major kudos to you! I’m in 40 year old fatman shape, and 2020/Covid has not been kind to my back, and subsequently my waistline. I was getting into pretty decent shape mid-summer, then my back went out in the middle of a bike ride. Now I’m falling apart and can’t even think about running.

But, I’ve always been more like a Tolkien Dwarf... “natural sprinter. Very dangerous over short distances.” :D

Congrats. I think trail running is probably the best thing you can do to get in shape or stay in shape for hunting.

Awesome. Congrats on finishing.

First year I did the Jim Bridger trail run, a buddy who was getting married that summer had his bachelor part the night before the run. I left the party at 4 AM (in Billings) and drove to Bozeman for the start of the race. It was my fastest time on that course....

But I was 23 or so at the time too.

Back