Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Determining Gauge of Antique Shotgun

Nick_CO

I have a hand me down Lefever Shotgun that belonged to my grandfather but it has no marking on it that indicates gauge. I've contacted a Lefever collectors group but until I hear back from them I was curious if anyone had suggestions for definitively identifying antique shotgun gauges. I measured the inside diameter with a cloth tape and the best measurement I can come up with is 11/16 of an inch or 0.688 when converted to decimals. According to online charts I've looked at it seems like it would fall into the 16 or 20 gauge range but I don't trust my measurement obviously. Looking up the serial number of this gun only tells me that it was likely made in 1900 and the only other numbers I can readily see stamped on the gun are patent numbers. Any suggestions? Thanks

Will a modern 12g round fit the chamber? Don't fire it!
Yes they fit just fine. My measurement of the inside diameter of the barrels is throwing me off though. I just measured again and the largest number I get is still 11/16 or .688 so I would not try firing anything until I am able to confirm. I plan on ordering low pressure RST shells once I am confident in the gauge.

Probably a full choked 12
What you are suggesting is that the shotgun was manufactured pre-choked right? That would explain why 12 gauge shells fit but the exit bore is smaller than in the bore diameter charts. I didn't even think about shotguns this old being pre choked but it makes sense. I think I will still get the opinion of a gunsmith that's familiar with antiques before actually shooting since it sounds like I could really damage the gun or myself if I'm wrong but this is all great info.

Pull the forearm off, dismount the barrels, and look at the flats on the underside of the barrels. In an English gun, all the important info will be stamped there. On an American, I'm not sure what is there, but that's where the info will be, including chokes and chamber length.

BTW, empirical evidence suggests that shooting 2.75" 12 bore loads in a 2.5" chamber is not going to raise the pressures much if you are shooting relatively low-pressure lead-shot loads. May not be true for slugs or buckshot.

Definitely visit a gunsmith that is knowledgeable.

The Lefever Collectors Association replied back to me this afternoon and confirmed 12 gauge. Very nice of them to get back to me so quickly and on a Sunday. Thanks for the info and input everybody! Here are some pics of the gun I took last night. Bad pics and lighting but it's a really neat old shotgun. Can't wait to (hopefully) take it out for Grouse this fall. Screenshot_20230416-181310.pngScreenshot_20230416-181318.pngScreenshot_20230416-181333.png

Sweet looking gun.. The first double I ever picked up was a Lefever. I couldn't believe how different (and better) it felt than my 870 Rem. Never did buy a Lefever, but that gun started my addiction to doubles. Nothing beats a good side-by.
Looks like you may need a butt pad replacement. Not sure what I am seeing at the bottom. Not to tricky to do if you have a good belt or disk sanding station.

Sweet looking gun.. The first double I ever picked up was a Lefever. I couldn't believe how different (and better) it felt than my 870 Rem. Never did buy a Lefever, but that gun started my addiction to doubles. Nothing beats a good side-by.
Looks like you may need a butt pad replacement. Not sure what I am seeing at the bottom. Not to tricky to do if you have a good belt or disk sanding station.
Oh yeah, the butt pad is in bad shape. It almost looks like it melted. I think I have to replace the whole pad. This is my first double so really excited to get it back into usable order.

Oh yeah, the butt pad is in bad shape. It almost looks like it melted. I think I have to replace the whole pad. This is my first double so really excited to get it back into usable order.
Absolutely replace it. The rubber has broken down. Happens to old pads all the time. If you want replace with a leather covered pad.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Take it down to a machine shop and ask them to set a bore gage into the muzzle a few inches and measure it. It'll take them 5 minutes.

Both muzzles measure the same? I would expect left vs right to be choked differently.

My pop would break open the gun and test an unfired shell for fit. Then he would measure the muzzle end with a dime.
12 gauge shell fits= 12 gauge. ( Chamber length unknown)... Dime wont go in the muzzle - Full Choke.

That is most likely a short chambered Lefevre. Also inspect your barrels very, very carefully before firing. Those are twist steel construction and should be checked over carefully. Most likely an H grade. Should be stamped on the receiver flats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back