Yeti GOBOX Collection

Desert Mule Deer in Southern Arizona

Ozzy

Howdy,

I'm taking my bow out this December for an OTC mule deer archery hunt. I live in Tucson and am looking at hunting 37B. I don't mind walking a few hours to avoid the masses, but recently discovered that 37B is mostly state land and I cannot camp out there. This makes avoiding areas of high pressure more complex. Does anyone have any experience in units that may be worth my time in the Tucson area where I can backpack in and sleep? I am after mule deer more than coues, but not going to be holding out for a 180" deer. I have from December 14th to January 31st, so I have a lot of time to try different stuff and various units. I'll still scout 37B and plan on spending the first 1-2 hours before sunrise putting distance between myself and the roads. I also may check out the Catalina foothills on the North side of 33. Best of luck to everyone on your DIY adventures the rest of 2018.

Why can't you camp there?It's BLM land.they say you need to go downtown and buy a permit to camp overnight.Never have never will.Its your land! Have a great time.Muleys are hard to find down south.Coues are more abundant,but they call them the desert ghost for a reason.You are hunting an area with thousands of ATVs and OHVs.Go deep,and go far.I hunt or USED TO hunt around Picketpost Mtn.Now its all snowbirds on Jeep tours.Lots of good folks on Eastmans Forum.Ask for JimP. He H.A.M. hunts there every year.He can show you where you need to be.Tell him dirtclod Az. sent you.Good Dude! P.S. Military?:cool:

37b was a tough hunt a few years ago. Lions really took their toll. Not a lot of backcountry down south that isn't mostly coues country that I ever found. Maybe the mule mountains in 30b. Honestly, camping in southern AZ was never something that interested me. Didn't want to deal with the possibility of running into illegals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back