Yeti GOBOX Collection

Depreciation and valuation of high-end optics?

Paul in Idaho

I'm considering adding some Swarovski or Leica glass to my hunting equipment collection, and am deciding whether to buy new or used.

Is there any commonly accepted standard or reference of what the value of used optics is, like NADA or Kelley Blue Book are for vehicles? From what I have read in forums and classified ad postings it seems there's an initial drop in value once the item is no longer new, but I don't see a consistent valuation or rate of depreciation over time. I'd guess that newer models with higher-tech coatings and other advancements would cost more than a similar model made 10 years ago.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Paul

I am in a similar boat in terms of buying new alpha glass (looking at Swaros)
Here’s what you need to know (I think)
-used is always inherently a little dicey if you don’t know they are a reputable source (If I was buying from a long time and frequent posting HT/rokslide/etc user, I’d feel a bit better). Lens wear is kinda easy to conceal. That said, I’ve picked up some really good deals from such sites
-generally your best ‘top line’ (sales price) deals will come from discounted options, demos etc (eg, B&H), close-outs
-big box stores like cabelas are not everish going to have cheap prices for alpha glass .... BUT what people miss is in general you can always buy their stuff for ~20% off (just use raise, CardCash, annually discounted gift cards + active junky)
Suddenly, when you’re looking at $1600 top line SLCs and they will cost you $1200 cash, you start to feel like you can level up.

I'd go used. Used alpha glass hardly depreciates and it's not uncommon to profit if you list and sell with
decent timing. Swaro pops up all the time, keep an eye on all the classifieds, especially rokslide.

If you're patient you'll find glass pop up from well known, long time forum members. And if
you're nervous about internet transactions, pay the Paypal fee for re-assurance. Guys that don't have
anything to hide will have a nice listing, lots of details and plenty of high resolution photos. Get the serial
number from the seller and call Swaro and they will verify it for you in 2 seconds. Get a tracking number
for shipping.

I’d go used or demo all the way on alpha glass. I picked up my 10x42 SLC HDs 3 years ago as an open box/demo unit from Bob Wards and I just bought a used ATS 65 HD 25-50 from a friend. I saved about $1200 off retail combined. There’s a few places that rent Swarovski glass to wildlife and bird watchers as well and you can sometimes find good deals on their used glass.

I feel like the prices on the now "old" model of Swarovski binoculars is pretty damn solid. Cabelas has the 10x42 for $2170. Wait til they have a 10% off day and you're below 2k. Buy it through Active Junky and take another 7-10% off. Then you're down under $1,800 for what was selling for $2,700 just a few months ago. Tough to beat that.

I'd go used. Used alpha glass hardly depreciates and it's not uncommon to profit if you list and sell with
decent timing. Swaro pops up all the time, keep an eye on all the classifieds, especially rokslide.

If you're patient you'll find glass pop up from well known, long time forum members. And if
you're nervous about internet transactions, pay the Paypal fee for re-assurance. Guys that don't have
anything to hide will have a nice listing, lots of details and plenty of high resolution photos. Get the serial
number from the seller and call Swaro and they will verify it for you in 2 seconds. Get a tracking number
for shipping.
I was going to recommend the OP to pm you. I remember you posting something about the resale value of optics!

I buy some used optics and have had good luck getting stuff off here and rockslide years ago I bought a Trijicon scope used offline and from the pics and numbers it looked real and seemed legit then it showed up and was a knockoff So now I’m a little gun shy when it comes to buying higher value items offline

In my experience, the initial price drop is at least 25%. IMO its because most folks spending that much on glass will usually be willing to pay for new. Those buying used want to still feel like they are getting a good deal. Optics tech typically refreshes every 5 years or so.

Thanks everyone, there is good information here. I hadn't heard of some of the discount methods for buying new optics. I'll include those in my calculations when I get to the point of deciding what to purchase.

I would buy used optics for sure, I have found killer deals on ebay during the off season. Spring time or winter is when I usually find the deals. Swaro hold their value over any other optic in my opinion. Leica and Zeiss make great optics but their resale isnt as good. Rifle scopes are a whole other ball game when it comes to Alpha glass.
The only Alpha glass I have bought new was Zeiss SF and that was through a discount program. Forums are your best bet for used optics. Just have to wait for the right opportunity. I snagged a pair of swaro 8x42 el for 800 bucks on ebay.

Used, the other big player in addition to your choice in the UK is Schmidt and Bender, which is what I own.
It's the lifetime guarantee, so even if you buy a used scope that develops a fault they will correct it for an absolute minimum charge.
You can get some rough looking high end used scopes, but if the lenses are scratch free you're onto a winner.
Its like buying a new car against a used one, I hate the thought of driving off a garage forecourt in my new car knowing as soon as I cross the road I have lost a big wad of hard earned cash.
BTW, my S&B scopes are fixed power, less to go wrong.
Cheers
Richard

I buy and sell glass pretty frequently on Ebay, scopes in particular, because I like to try out new reticles, etc. It's not a profit thing at all, I definitely lose money with each transaction. As a buyer, the challenge with finding good glass used is it's just rare to see one listed. I find on forums folks are asking almost for new prices, whereas on Ebay if you can find an auction or a "Make offer" situation, you can get a great deal. But you have to check a couple of times per week as those don't stay around long. The seller I am looking to buy from is usually an individual, like myself. I always save the boxes in case I need to sell. There should be no concern with buying Swarovski used...you can verify the serial number with Swarovski, and the warranty follows the product. I listed a Swarovski scope the other day that I owned for 5 years.....a 3-9x36 that sells for $699 new. The very first day I had 8 offers, and sold it for $550......I probably could have held out a few days for close to $600, but was trying to move it because I was leaving town.

In short, buy used if you can find it. If not, buy new and rest assured if you ever need to cash out you will be able to quickly, with a minimal loss.

I bought my leica 10x50 ultravids when they were transitioning to a new model and had steep discounts on the existing models. Saved around $800.

Nothing wrong with buying a used pair of alpha binos. I’m a Swarovski fan and if you watch some of the classifieds can pickup a pair for a great price.
Be sure to get pics of all the lenses also.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back