MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

DeLorme GPS

Got one sitting on my desk, right now. 'Sposed to be giving it a test run. The SPOT receiver/transponder and the GPS are two different units, which surprised me. I thought it was combined with the GPS unit.

Trying to get things downloaded and organized before leaving to KS next Saturday. The GPS looks pretty stout and easy to use.

Will give an update, if I have a chance to launch it for that trip.

Definitely two units. Just a guess but I wonder if this is because the SPOT uses different satellites than our GPSs do. Only reason to get them together is if you want to type and send text messages from the PN-60 to recipients via the SPOT. Of course SPOT charges $30-$50/yr. to do this, in addition to the $100/yr. basic service.

Oak- I don't have a 60 but I love my 40. If I didn't have the 40 and was looking to buy a DeLorme unit I'd go with the 60 if for no other reason than they're supposed to be a lot easier on batteries than the 40. I've posted quite a bit about why I like the 40 so much if you haven't already found them in a search. Right now I'm thinking I'll keep using my 40 and jump over the 60 and get the next one (80?) as long as my 40 keeps doing what I need it to do.

My brother bought a PN60 for our Etolin Elk hunt.

I HATED it. Maps weren't very good, tiny buttons with a bad layout IMO, poor interface, tiny screen. It was hard to use and work and see what was going on when it was rainy and windy. It sucked up battery life really quick too. Slow to pick up satellites.

My opinion.. All I have to compare it to is a fleet of Garmins and a Lowrance iFinder H20.
Maybe it was just because I'm not used to it? Or because I've never used a Delorme GPS before. But it was borderline unusable to me. Brother left it in the tent after the first day of the hunt.

Garmin. period. IMO. The standard and also the file fortmat all the great, custom, and free extra maps seem to be created for, as best I can tell. Garmin finally go their act together and now have good aerial photos available. as well as kml/xml formnats filers you can generate in google earth etc.

Delorme makes a good road atlas:rolleyes:

Big Fin - I neved did see what you thought of the Delorme, do you have any thoughts on this unit? Anything new coming down the pike? I have set a $400 budget for a new GPS unit. I am not in a big hurry so I have time to wait and see what's new.

I will be giving more of a report by mid-month. Sorry for the delay. Haven't had much time to use it, other than in small areas.

All you need really is Garmins eTrex...it runs for around $100(on sale at Cabela's for $75 currently). It is soo simple to use and as long as you have a map to work with itll do just fine.

As far as the SPOT is concerned I remember one of my local wardens tell me that they arent worth it because they sill use a cell signal so they may or may not work. Even there add potrays a coverage map that shows the percentage of times a signal will be sent within 20 min. Now if you are sending an alert to let loved ones know you are okay then thats tolerable but if i were bleeding out i would hope the the signal would be a little faster.

I recomend a good GPS like the eTrex and a PLB (personal locator beacon) wich all totals around $300, the range of the single unit you specified Oak.

I'm also looking forward to the review of the 60. In my research between it and the Garmins it appears to me that the 60 is better setup to use/display shapefiles than a Garmin (I could be wrong). I used to use a Garmin60 for work and uploading many a shapefile to it and it did work, but I was not terribly happy with the MN DNR program that did the transfer nor the display of area shapefiles as tracks. Sorta geeky, but the screenshot that WT in MT has posted of the PN40 have me leaning that way right now. Besides, I can sell it to the wife easier by explaining I can text her using it... :D

PS- Spot does not use a cell phone signal.

Anybody know anything about this new SPOT Connect... enables satellite text messaging, etc, through your smartphone (Droids only?). $169 for the unit, but I don't see any info on additional costs. Moosie's Facebook updates from the backcountry might get costly if they charge per message fees. :D

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back