Deer Meat Cuts

SPDSpappy

I leave for my first muley hunt tomorrow. The outfitter I’m going with only allows the animals to be brought to the processor rather than allowing clients to do the processing. My question for all the mule deer meat lovers is what cuts of meat should I get done (e.g., should I get any steaks out of the hind quarters)?

I leave for my first muley hunt tomorrow. The outfitter I’m going with only allows the animals to be brought to the processor rather than allowing clients to do the processing.

That's a load of garbage. The meat doesn't belong to your outfitter, it belongs to you, do with it as you please. If he fights you on that I'd call the game warden. The processor is probably his brother or something...

ya like Luke said that sounds a little off.. is it private property? Is the process on the property? I’ve never heard of anything like this but im Not an expert at dealing with outfitters either

If someone else is doing the cutting, ask for whole muscles, whole back straps, and bone-in shanks.

That's a load of garbage. The meat doesn't belong to your outfitter, it belongs to you, do with it as you please. If he fights you on that I'd call the game warden. The processor is probably his brother or something...
I agree 100%! Perhaps the processor gets a kickback for every animal the outfitter sends there.

To answer everyone's questions now that I'm back. All the guide did was gut the critters, load them in the truck, and take them to the processor. I then told the processor what I wanted. I didn't really have time to debone everything myself as I was trying to fill 3 tags while there in what ended up being 5 days of hunting due to the 14" of snow coming down in a 24 hour period non-stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back