Deer - lets see em

It’s easy for me to blame nonresidents for these depopulation events in Montana, but as was temporarily evidenced above Montanans can stack the mulie doe carcasses just as high…
None of those on the truck were muley doe. The only doe taken were whitetail.

Idea? Wyoming started that Let a Deer walk program due to the hard winter. What if we started a Buy a Buck or Doe program in MT, or No Doinks No Does? I see way too many doinks hanging in camps. I get a first time hunter, elderly hunter, or whatever shooting a spike because I’ve been there. I shot a small 3 point post my pile of knee surgeries. I have never been so happy. There was a time when I thought I may never hike again.

The actual data driven science says if we want more deer and bigger bucks it takes habitat and its health, followed by doe numbers. Letting immature deer walk helps too.

Idea? Wyoming started that Let a Deer walk program due to the hard winter. What if we started a Buy a Buck or Doe program in MT, or No Doinks No Does? I see way too many doinks hanging in camps. I get a first time hunter, elderly hunter, or whatever shooting a spike because I’ve been there. I shot a small 3 point post my pile of knee surgeries. I have never been so happy. There was a time when I thought I may never hike again.

The actual data driven science says if we want more deer and bigger bucks it takes habitat and its health, followed by doe numbers. Letting immature deer walk helps too.
Montana hunters complain about trophy quality consistently. There are plenty of issues in each state. Tag amounts/NR tag allocation/outfitter allocation/season dates/weapon choices/doe-fawn tags/ non existing antler point restriction. You guys hunt your mule deer in the rut during your general season... that definitely isnt helpful to maintaining a mature deer heard, either. This is just my opinion, im sure as hell not a biologist.

Montana hunters complain about trophy quality consistently. There are plenty of issues in each state. Tag amounts/NR tag allocation/outfitter allocation/season dates/weapon choices/doe-fawn tags/ non existing antler point restriction. You guys hunt your mule deer in the rut during your general season... that definitely isnt helpful to maintaining a mature deer heard, either. This is just my opinion, im sure as hell not a biologist.

The rut hunt definitely makes a difference. I listened to an interesting Go Hunt Podcast recently, and they talked about point restrictions. Almost all data shows that it causes a 1 to 2 year bump, and then a return to normal followed by some major issues. Most studies show the advent of decreased genetic health. For example, in a 4 point mule deer restricted zone you slowly shift the genetics to produce big 2’s and 3’s. Whatever survives breeds right? They see the same issue with bulls in 6 point or better zones.

The rut hunt definitely makes a difference. I listened to an interesting Go Hunt Podcast recently, and they talked about point restrictions. Almost all data shows that it causes a 1 to 2 year bump, and then a return to normal followed by some major issues. Most studies show the advent of decreased genetic health. For example, in a 4 point mule deer restricted zone you slowly shift the genetics to produce big 2’s and 3’s. Whatever survives breeds right? They see the same issue with bulls in 6 point or better zones.
That is interesting. Makes a lot of sense. ill have to give Joe Rogan a break and branch out and give it a listen. Excluding point restriction ( i believe 3 or 4 point could be beneficial in some areas) the other issues make a big difference as well. I wish the hunting model wasnt so generated on producing income and more towards heathy/mature populations.

That is interesting. Makes a lot of sense. ill have to give Joe Rogan a break and branch out and give it a listen. Excluding point restriction ( i believe 3 or 4 point could be beneficial in some areas) the other issues make a big difference as well. I wish the hunting model wasnt so generated on producing income and more towards heathy/mature populations.

I am no expert, but the study that showed the most progress was Washington. In WA we only go to 3 point, and in my experiential data says Super 2’s are much more rare. They’re a hell of a lot cooler too. Would that mean 4 point or better for elk???

I am no expert, but the study that showed the most progress was Washington. In WA we only go to 3 point, and in my experiential data says Super 2’s are much more rare. They’re a hell of a lot cooler too. Would that mean 4 point or better for elk???
There are some 4 point or better units for deer here that do descent, but there are a lot of small bucks in there. At least you get to see a good amount of bucks running around. We have some elk units that are 5 point or less to help cull large heards. I think its just a way for them to sell more tags though. I like Idaho/montana's brow tine only ideas for elk.
I love a super 2 and would take one in a heartbeat. I know a guy who shot a 32" 2x2 about 10 years ago. Those are pretty awesome.

Utah 2016 this was a great year we drew out for CWMU (cooperative wildlife management units) this is where land owners open their property up to a certain number of hunters in exchange for permits they can sell or use.

Attachments

• 14691435_10209417836996797_9198249677367834610_o.jpg
    14691435_10209417836996797_9198249677367834610_o.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 74
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back