Deer Elk Dates Coincide

Personally I like it when they don't coincide, less eyes in the woods at one time, but that's just my selfish reasoning.
I completely understand the convenience though for those hunting both in one area.

Personally I like it when they don't coincide, less eyes in the woods at one time, but that's just my selfish reasoning.
I completely understand the convenience though for those hunting both in one area.

The seasons were changed. Antlered mule deer runs the two weeks before elk but any white tail overlaps. It does have it's disadvantages because hardcore deer hunters and elk hunters don't always get along. I find more deer hunters hunting on four wheels than two feet than I do with elk hunters too. I also find more reckless shots being taken by deer hunters too. I don't know how many I witness taking shots where they had no clue what was behind and beyond their target.

First time I seen this since I have been hunting Wyoming. Deer and Elk opening date (Oct 15) for 2020 coincides. Nice, I can hunt archery for both before 15th and then rifle starting on October 15th.
Archery hunt Sept. 1-30, then come back two weeks later on the 15th rifle opener, correct?

I'm sure you meant this, Doug, but just in case anyone reads this from out of state and gets confused, I figure it's worth clarifying.

Archery hunt Sept. 1-30, then come back two weeks later on the 15th rifle opener, correct?

I'm sure you meant this, Doug, but just in case anyone reads this from out of state and gets confused, I figure it's worth clarifying.

Nope. I was looking at
Deer area 135:
131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 168 3 Sep. 1 Sep. 30 Oct. 1 Nov. 30 25 Any white-tailed deer
Antlered mule deer on a general tag is Oct 1 through Oct 6 right before elk season. But that I will be hunting locally.
Elk area 102:
102 Gen Sep. 1 Sep. 30 Oct. 15 Oct. 24 Any elk (Sept 1-Sept 30 is special archery season)

Oct 15 is opening elk season for 102. The Sept 1-Sept 30 is special archery. Going to draw a lot of deer hunters into areas with elk hunters going to be interesting.
Edit: This last line had a typo for start date on rifle elk and was confusing...just so it make sense, there was a type 3 license for any whitetail Oct 1 to Nov 30 but I did not want whitetail. I wanted muleys only. Just my preference. I did not put in for it.

Last edited:
Occasionally they change the elk opener to Oct 1 in some areas. Makes for interesting hunting but lots more folks in the woods.
We had a general area do that one year and it was crowded opening day for elk and deer.
Some deer seasons were extended into the second week in Oct this year, right before the elk opener.

Good luck WyoDoug, hoping to draw a LQ tag ourselves.

Occasionally they change the elk opener to Oct 1 in some areas. Makes for interesting hunting but lots more folks in the woods.
We had a general area do that one year and it was crowded opening day for elk and deer.
Some deer seasons were extended into the second week in Oct this year, right before the elk opener.

Good luck WyoDoug, hoping to draw a LQ tag ourselves.
Nope. I was looking at
Deer area 135:
131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 168 3 Sep. 1 Sep. 30 Oct. 1 Nov. 30 25 Any white-tailed deer
Antlered mule deer on a general tag is Oct 1 through Oct 6 right before elk season. But that I will be hunting locally.
Elk area 102:
102 Gen Sep. 1 Sep. 30 Oct. 15 Oct. 24 Any elk (Sept 1-Sept 30 is special archery season)

Oct 1 is opening elk season for 102. The Sept 1-Sept 30 is special archery. Going to draw a lot of deer hunters into areas with elk hunters going to be interesting.
Gotcha now. Yeah, with all the different season dates in different areas, I see what you mean now.

Our elk rifle season is Oct. 1-22 and they shortened the rifle deer season here near Lander to Oct. 15-20. I'd imagine overlap on the back end of the rifle elk season isn't too bad.

Back