Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Dedicated to my nephew

He was with you on that hunt I am sure. That has to hurt and 27 is way too young to lose someone like that. RIP...

My work mentor passed away over a week ago and I missed his celebration of life they had yesterday. I managed to get a turkey hunt in and filled a tag before I went to our local RMEF banquet in the afternoon. I'd like to think Jay brought me some luck and wanted me to enjoy a Spring morning and have fun with other hunters.

Too young. Sounds like he was a great young man. So sorry for your loss.

Thanks guys. Autopsy report showed he had died from sudden death syndrome. His heart was enlarged and it broke electrical connection with the brain. It was sudden and instantaneous. They said it rare, and rarely shows symptoms that would tip you off there's trouble looming.
Very sad! My son's death was officially attributed to sudden cardiac death, but only to cover up for the uncertified neurologist who was treating him, or rather refused to treat him. My son was third generation epileptic through his mother and no family history of heart problems on either side. No evidence of cardiac death on autopsy but that doesn't mean it wasn't "possible" so there ya go. Unfortunately, he died during the night unobserved. Eleven years later and it's still in the courts.

The heart has its own nervous system sort-of. I'm sure many of us have witnessed an animal's heart continuing to beat after it's been shot in the head or decapitated. Hypotrophic cardiomyopathy associated with an enlarged heart often disrupts the electrical pattern between the top and bottom of heart, resulting in uncoordinated rhythm. The heart tries to compensate for sudden drop in oxygen (message sent by brain) by speeding up which only makes the arrhythmia worse. Very quickly the heart is simply cycling the blood around inside itself instead of sending it to the lungs. Patient suddenly loses consciousness and dies. Though it sounds like this young man's condition was hereditary, if he was asymptomatic his death could not have been predicted nor, I suspect, prevented. An act of God. Which explains my son's autopsy results.

Last edited:
I missed this the first time around. So sorry for your loss. It's always hard when a young person goes too soon, and it sounds like your family had a great one. Your family will be in my prayers.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back