Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Decoys anonymous?

Keep on

Questioned my propensity for decoy acquisition again this morning as all of the decoys were getting layed up for off season storage.
I can say with confidence there is somewhere between 24-26 dozen piled in there. They say the first step is to admit you have a problem, but I'm not ready for a 12 step program just yet. On a positive note, I did not buy any decoys the last couple years. Maybe I am starting to turn it around.
My only concerns at this point is if something happens to me she'll have to deal with getting rid of them, or I will when/if we move at some point.
Any body else have a slight problem?20230305_094912.jpg20230305_094934.jpg

I can fit 4 dozen or so goose floaters in the boat, problem is when you start getting diver spreads, river puddler spreads, field spreads, creek spreads, etc.
I'm thankful the snow geese fly East of here. That's a game I just don't have the storage space for.

I want to add some silhouettes to my spread. Not sure why I have enough decoys and a 14’ trailer so space is never an issue and I always can drive out in a field or I’m not hunting

Questioned my propensity for decoy acquisition again this morning as all of the decoys were getting layed up for off season storage.
I can say with confidence there is somewhere between 24-26 dozen piled in there.
Any body else have a slight problem?
25 dozen silhouettes fit into 5 suit case size containers. 🤪

My friends went nuts a few weeks back buying floaters at walmart. They had them clearance out at $8-13/ dozen. They were leaving with pick up boxes full lol i guess you cant have too many.

Snow geese aside, most guys don't realize there is such thing as too many goose decoys. I did very well for at least thirty years with just a dozen field shells. Those old G&H were showing their age so I ordered a second dozen. Big mistake. First, the new decoys were nowhere near the quality or usefulness of the older version. Required significant modification to make them work. More importantly, a larger spread really doesn't work any better. If anything it can be a handicap. Field honker deeks should not be spread more than three or four feet apart or the geese get wary. Honkers, because they are big birds, are more often than not inclined to land on the edge of the spread, especially on windy days. I don't hunt from a layout blind, but rather from cover on the edge of the field. I'll use the wind to intercept if I can, but when no wind I'm at a big disadvantage with a large spread. Honkers will come across the field and land on the opposite side of the spread. I have found that making a landing zone in the middle doesn't work particularly well, especially with smart honkers that have been shot up.

Duck hunting here generally isn't great (for some reason) so I don't invest much in those decoys. Snow geese require a couple hundred decoys to be effective. Hardly any migrate through here these days so I'm staying out of that game.

Snow geese aside, most guys don't realize there is such thing as too many goose decoys. I did very well for at least thirty years with just a dozen field shells. Those old G&H were showing their age so I ordered a second dozen. Big mistake. First, the new decoys were nowhere near the quality or usefulness of the older version. Required significant modification to make them work. More importantly, a larger spread really doesn't work any better. If anything it can be a handicap. Field honker deeks should not be spread more than three or four feet apart or the geese get wary. Honkers, because they are big birds, are more often than not inclined to land on the edge of the spread, especially on windy days. I don't hunt from a layout blind, but rather from cover on the edge of the field. I'll use the wind to intercept if I can, but when no wind I'm at a big disadvantage with a large spread. Honkers will come across the field and land on the opposite side of the spread. I have found that making a landing zone in the middle doesn't work particularly well, especially with smart honkers that have been shot up.

Duck hunting here generally isn't great (for some reason) so I don't invest much in those decoys. Snow geese require a couple hundred decoys to be effective. Hardly any migrate through here these days so I'm staying out of that game.
If you have lots of goose decoys a guy only needs a few duck decoys if any.

If you have lots of goose decoys a guy only needs a few duck decoys if any.
I think honker decoys work better on water for attracting ducks. For whatever reason, few ducks land in my field goose spread. Flocks sometimes buzz the spread several times but rarely commit. But they'll pile right into floater deeks. Odd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back