Decoy gang rigs

skimerhorn

Anybody use them? I've got a diverse spot that is tidal that I'm thinking about trying them at. All my decoys are on rig em right Texas rigs right now. Just think that that a gang rig might be easier? Anybody on here use them that could offer some advice? Thanks

We always used them on rivers, they were the rig em right brand. The 3lb or whatever grapple anchors came with them were too light for rocky bottoms and current so we went to 5 gallon buckets of concrete to hold them steady. We had some issues where they would accumulate grass and weeds throughout the morning and get more weight and surface area and eventually pull anchors loose. Keep in mind this was basically a hard rock bottom trout stream with tons of current and wasn't very ducky, it was just close. We had great success on the backwaters of the Missouri river behind wing dykes with them. You really need to be organized with the main line and leaders because it makes an epic mess in a decoy bag otherwise.

I always felt their value was in calm, deeper water you could still have 30" decoy leaders and only 2 long drops to the anchors. I will use texas rigs over gang rigs whenever possible, including the 12 oz river weight versions instead of a gang rig.

Have used strings for years on divers. One 18" drop permanently attached to the decoy with a HUGE snap swivel on the end. The line itself has a HUGE 3 way swivel every 6'. On both ends of this line are 12' drops for the anchors. Make them as long as you want - we put 20 decoys per line. The 18" drop lets the dog swim right thru them no issues.

I've used them in the sounds for diver type hunting and they definitely make things easier if you keep them untangled and be careful winding them up. I would suggest a diy set up, as the pre made stuff can be pretty pricey. Have also seen guys use nets, like batting cage woven net and tie decoys to that. This allows you to put a bunch out easily, and I think they look better not in a straight line. Might be an issue with a dog though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back