Decoy Dogs

Wolfer

Hey all does anyone use Decoy dogs for runnin Calling Coyotes?If so what are ya usein and when what time of year are yadoin it

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up!!! Thats the best thing for coyote calling is some kind of Decoy dog!! A buddy of mine that happens to be one of the organizers of the National Coyote Calling contest in Rawlins every year uses a little mut dog all ythe time and he does real good!!! I hope ya get some more people to answer this because I know it works! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Wolfer
I've been using decoy dogs for quite a few years. I've used a newfoundland (sp?)german wirehair and a very small chocolate lab. The lab is the best I have at luring coyotes in. She will run up to a coyote and then turns around and come back. The coyote usually follows. The lab only weighs about 30 lbs so she doesn't intimadate coyotes, even pups come in for a look. If I'm calling and a coyote starts barking I have the dog start barking and running around, lots of time that will bring the coyote in for a shot.
The wirehair is the best all around dog. Heck, she would even retrieve coyotes. I make her sit beside me when I calling so she spots all the coyotes that come in off to the side or behind me. When I shoot a coyote I'll send her out to find it. She grab it by the throat and shake it and drag it around. At the same time I'll hit the wounded coyote call. If there are any other coyotes around, HERE THEY COME! I retired the wirehair last year because of her age. I sure would like to find another small wirehair.
I use my dogs when ever I go out. I know lots of people say they don't work very will in the fall, but it works for me.

<smiles> well Bcat I decoy also and this is the slowest Varmit board i have run across.so i had to ask the queston..LOL. I use Jadgs and Mtn curs for decoyin and yes i also use them on lion Bcat. My best dog is a 9 yr old jadg he weighs in at about 24lbs and coyotes seem to think he is dinner when they spot him. I have a small female mtn cur that is coming on strong. Wyote I use mine everytime I call as well I think the trick is stay small and they wont intimidate. If you are lookin to replace the wirehair ya might think about the jadgs.

------------------

I have tried using airedales. My males have all been used extensively on hogs and bears. They are much to aggressive and intimidating. I am now starting a young female for coyotes and I think she will work out great. A lot of guys on the coyotegods board use airedales.

Wolfer
Tell me more about the Jadgs. What size and color are they? What were they breed for etc.
Do you know of anyone who breeds them?
BTW How do you pronounce Jadgs?
wyote

Wyote
Jadgs are a terrier a little bigger than a jack russel. the are black and tan they were originally bred in Germany for ground dogs is what I gather. The Name Jadg is prononced Yak. There are a few breeders in the states here they are used mainly for Hog and coon and such. there are a few of us including a couple of WS hunters in colorado that use them on coyote and Bear I use mine for Cat and coyote the small size ( average is 24lbs) works excellent for decoyin. when I got my first one i ran him with my lion Pack and he litterally run circles around them for endurance and speed his Nose isnt to bad either.they are marked like a doberman or rotwieler and come in either a smooth coat or wirery coat. they are an aggressive but smart little dog.

------------------

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back