Decked... is it worth it?

JdGoodhart

Kicking around the idea of getting a decked system for my 2019 ranger. My truck bed is always full between work stuff and hunting or fishing gear. Does anybody have an experience with them? Thanks!

They're pretty spendy. I built one out of plywood for my F150 for $100. I really like the storage. And I sleep in back with the topper.
I like decked because you can put locks on it and it is a little tougher than plywood but haven't ruled out the plywood option either.

I looked into Truck Vault drawers a few years ago for my truck, I have a topper and the low profile model is around 8" tall so I would still have plenty of room under the cap. Seems like the decked system would use up a lot of the bed since they're so tall. Just thinking if you start stacking gear on top it's going to be above the bed rails pretty quick. If you have a cap on your Ranger probably not a big deal.

Been considering building a plywood one with drawers for my tacoma. As for the durability, I’d probably spray the top with bed liner spray cans and call it good. When it wears out pull some screws and replace.

Not sure I can give up the vertical space, though. It’s already tight putting all my tools in with the topper on....

I was going to build some nice plywood drawers but then I found some lightly-used Decked drawers for $300, which was far less than I would have spent on building my own. Having had them for a couple years now, with and without a topper on my truck, I'll happily pay full price for them on my next rig. If I lock my tailgate they would be extremely difficult to break into, they keep the contents nice and dry, and it's so great to have gear in the drawers easily accessible even if the deck on top is stacked with stuff.

I went the custom plywood route, and put some glue down exterior grade carpet on top. If you're worried about security, I put locks on mine as well. Tailgate locks, topper locks, drawers lock. I went as far as leaving the drawers 1.5' short of full length, and have another lid up front that pops out, perfect spot for my little chainsaw, a little air compressor, and a 3rd 12v battery (and a simple relay panel) to run interior lights and chargers. On longer drives I flip a switch and juice is sent to it instead of the second battery under the hood. Top of the deck is at the same height as my wheel wells, so we fit queen size memory foam mattress on top. Sleeps 2 adults and a toddler just fine.

Sure, given enough time with access to pry bars, a reciprocating saw etc you could get into the drawers, but the same thing could be said about the Decked drawers.

It's hard for me to see much bang for the buck in a system like that. I guess it's a plug-and-play option, but you could build a half dozen or more of your own for the price. Now used might be just the ticket, Bozeman classifieds seems like it'd be full of them here in a few months when the stimulus money is gone...:D

I looked into the decked system for my truck but eventually went with a Diamondback bed cover. I bought the HD version...you can put an ATV on it. Looked for a couple of months on their outlet site until one for my truck showed up for around 20% off. It's lockable, weathertight, will support around 1600 lbs on top, and can be taken off by one person if needed.

I just sold my 2017 Nissan Titan with a 5 1/2' bed. I had the Decked system in the bed for about a year and it worked great for my purposes. It also can handle an atv/utv on top. For securely storing anything from firearms to tools it worked great. Now, the selfish plug for it:
I still have the whole system sitting in my garage. Its yours for $850 if you can come through SLC..

It's hard for me to see much bang for the buck in a system like that. I guess it's a plug-and-play option, but you could build a half dozen or more of your own for the price. Now used might be just the ticket, Bozeman classifieds seems like it'd be full of them here in a few months when the stimulus money is gone...:D
Building your own is great. And I build stuff. Repeated use with heavy loads will break down the homegrown ones. I have both a do-it-yourself and a decked in two different trucks. For heavy use, buy the decked. mtmuley

Decked looks nice for durability and people that aren’t very handy with building things (me).
Roof top tents look to be for Instagram

I was checking Decked out for the Gladiator and am not sure it would be worth taking up so much of the bed with the truck's low side walls. They're great for getting in and taking stuff out but not so great for putting in a storage solution.

How much room do you have in those drawers? Enough to fit a big chainsaw?

I have the decked, and it's great for what it is. The one thing I have noticed is that mid-sized trucks get a lot less utility out of the system than full-sized trucks. I love mine with the full-sized drawers, but my buddy with a Tacoma hated his because he only got 1.5 drawers.

Pros:
Lockable storage
Convenient tie-downs on top for additional gear
Accessibility
Smooth operation
It allows you to pack certain items to ensure you'll always have them. I always have some recovery and camping gear in the truck because it doesn't take up normal real estate that would require me to constantly load and unload it.
Organization
If you run a cap on your truck, the vehicle looks empty to the casual observer, so it's more secure, at least for traveling, in that respect.

Cons:
Cost (You can find excellent deals used though)
The full-sized system adds almost 200 lbs to the bed all of the time (This could be a pro also)
The drawers aren't deep enough for tall items. You will still need a way to carry things too tall for the drawers.

I built one six years ago with stuff I had around here. I love it because guns can go in it out of sight and lock the drawer. Plus my tailgate locks so a thief would have to get through two locks. I hated leaving a gun in my cab where a broken window could get to your gun. Good luck decked are nice but my was cheap. 5371EE26-E198-497B-AEFA-D3BF5BF669A8.jpeg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back