Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Decision Time

Sar Dude

Based on the draw odds on this web site I should have enough points to draw any Archery Elk tag in AZ. (Non resident, 14 points).

I guess I really need to think about what I want to do. My friends in AZ all hunt with rifle in units near where they live, and for years I've been applying for the early rifle tags with them. I'm tempted to go for a unit 9 archery tag but if I do I'm afraid I'll be on my own. I really can't afford to hire a guide but I sure don't want to waste 14 bps on a small bull.

What should I do? 1.) Bite the bullet, take out a loan and hire a guide (kind of against the grain of this web site). 2.) Go it alone (without much chance to scout) and hope for the best. 3.) wait a couple more years to draw the rifle tag with my AZ friends.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tough choices. But all good choices.

Really depends upon what you want to do. If you are more comfortable with a rifle, wait for that. But, if you like archery elk hunting, it is hard to beat AZ archery elk hunts.

I drew an early rifle tag for Unit 10. I was stoked. I went down five days early and scouted. Found the one dreams are made of, but couldn't find him during the season. I ended up with a very good bull I had passed on the first day.

If my heart was set on a huge bull as the final result of my hunt, I would have hired one of the reputable outfitters. If you do that, you will have a great hunt, and increase your odds on a great bull.

If I didn't have ten to twelve days to allocate to the hunt, I would go rifle. Archery is harder, and with burning all those points, you want to give it all the effort you can.

That hunt was one of the greatest hunts of my life. I passed on some crazy sized bulls. Bulls a size I most likely will never get to shoot in my life. But, that was the fun of it.

You will have a great hunt, either guided or non-guided. You will find some great bulls, whether you go now on archery, or a few years from now with an early rifle.

Good news is that no matter the choice you make, you will have a great hunt and most importantly, you will have a ton of fun.

Good luck.

It's your hunt. You have to decide what you want to get out of it. Now if it was me I'd put in for archery. But some guys just have to kill a bull or they feel it wasn't a successful hunt. If you are hunting in a limited entry area with great bulls I'll take my chances and grab the bow! There are a lot of resources for pre-scouting an area or unit. There are lots of guys that will share their knowledge of a unit or area. NO REGRETS! Good hunting.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back