Decision Time MT or CO

ndhunterman

Well, with my terrible luck in the draws this year, I am down to my 2 viable options. Colorado 2nd season OTC or MT general tag, hunt November timeframe. Not looking for trophy just a week away from"life" and the chance to fill my freezer. Being from ND and having hunted MT, I am inclined to MT but could be swayed to CO. What say you?

Thanks fellas

I would probably pick MT if I was in your position. The CO tag will be cheaper and would offset the extra cost in fuel.

I have lived in both states. And my opinion is unless you have 7-10 days, and know a good spot in Montana, hunt Colorado. It's just a numbers game. Way more elk in Colorado, in a more confined area, tags are less money, and the mass of hunters really gets the elk moving. The plus side about Montana is way else hunters and some areas you can shoot either a branched bull or cow. You might want to checkout the leftover list for Colorado, sometimes they have either sex 4th tags. Good luck.

Solid advice from Pagosa. The leftover license list will be out next week and looking at a 4th rifle leftover is a good plan. That's a great season to be out in the woods. I killed a cow on public land last year in a unit that didn't sell out for 4th rifle.

Taking into account I have hunted MT 4 times with rifle and killed 2 elk, though both during opening week, does that change anyone's opinion?

Most elk will probably be in, or heading to the desert by 4th rifle..lol. That's a big reason I like the season. You can really see what's going on. Get a GPS that takes the onxmaps chip, and find some blm with private on 3 sides and no roads through it.

I do believe that all the general tags have have been sold in MT. Better look at CO.
Of course all their elk have went to WY and NM, as cseh commented.

Ah yes the famed unit question conversation killer. I'll hit up gohunt, thanks for the information fellas. A fall with no elk hunting may be a fall my wife doesn't want to be in the same house as me!

Ah yes the famed unit question conversation killer. I'll hit up gohunt, thanks for the information fellas. A fall with no elk hunting may be a fall my wife doesn't want to be in the same house as me!

LOL yes, yes it is...haha. Seriously though, 3, 301, 4, 11, 211, 12, & 23 have gobs of elk, and plenty of leftovers. Keep in mind you are gonna have company.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back