Decent travel case for archery

COEngineer

I have been shopping around for a bow case deep and wide enough to take my bow, quiver of arrows, and other gear and be able to survive baggage handlers to/from Alaska. I found this one, but I can't find it in any stores to look at it in person. Anyone have one or any recommendations? https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hq-issue-rifle-bow-carry-case?a=2190586

Seems like comparably sized cases with wheels run closer to $300.

SKB Double is incrdible. If you dont have 2 bows, ypu can always use the wxtra space. TSA approved, lifetime warranty. Its very nice

Pelican or SKB. Many different shape and size configurations available with either brand. I have SKB 5014 and 4119. I find myself using the 4119 more often.

Any of those Pelican type cases will work BUT they are generally weighty. The Plano case I had was 26lb (12kg) without anything in it. I chose the SKB (13lb bare weight) for my Canada bear hunt last year - it went from Australia to Canada and back with no problems. I’ll be using same case for my Montana hunt with confidence.

+1 for the SKB Double bow case. Got mine for a trip to Africa and it handled the trip without a problem. Mine is the iSeries 4217.
Get a good set of TSA approved locks and you should be set.
SKB also comes with insurance that covers the content of the case if it fails. The price of the case was cheap compared to the cost of the hunt.

For the price, I would try it. SG has easy returns if its not what you want. I have several of those Pelican type cases and have never had an issue with them. Previour guys may be on to something with the weight issue. I know 10-12 pounds in a Cub or float plane could be an issue.

For the price, I would try it. SG has easy returns if its not what you want. I have several of those Pelican type cases and have never had an issue with them. Previour guys may be on to something with the weight issue. I know 10-12 pounds in a Cub or float plane could be an issue.

The Cub and float planes I've been on don't allow hard cases for weapons. They are too big and bulky to fit in the tight spaces required. The cases I referenced above are intended for commercial air travel.

You leave hard cases at the hangar. When you get on a bush plane you put your rifle in a little soft case, just hold your bow in your lap etc.

The SKB double bow has been great to me. I can put a bow and a rifle, ammo, arrows, and some clothes in it.

I use a Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffle. Cost $159 last year and has survived many flights in Canada since. It is oversize so I end up paying a small fee ($26-$29 C a few times) for it. I've had no trouble with the airlines as long as I keep it under 50#s. I can put two bows in my Prime Soft bow case, Tight Spot quiver, arrow tube, pac boots and hiking boots, puffy, all my extra hunting clothes, Kifaru backpack, sleeping bag and pad etc and it fits. It will handle a 35" Axle to Axle bow but doubt you'd fit a 37" bow in it. Put all your clothes around the bow(s) for padding. I always carry-on my optics and electronics and have occasionally taken the bowsight off and put it in my carry-on.

Another SKB double user. I had to get the 42" model (Bear Anarchy, it barely fits). My wife and I can fit both of our bows (her's is diamond infinite edge so small), quivers, releases, broadhead cases, range finders and probably some other little stuff. I have to take my sight and stab off for my bow to fit in.

I have an SKB as well. It just ok for what it is, its made the cheap side. The latches are a weak point, It also has junky locks and no place to attach a TSA or regular lock. I had to drill and make an attachment point for a TSA lock. The up side is that its light weight so you can load it down with gear. I feel like the sitka nomad has served me just as well. I plan on picking up the nastiest lighter weight pelican case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back