De-boning directions Needed ???

Fullabull

Hey all,

For the last five years I've hunted in areas where we only had to quarter our elk and pack it no more the 150 yds or so before we could get to it by atv or horse.

Next year may be different, we (or I) could be in an area where there is not access other then on foot (we will not have horses). This means we will have to pack out all the way. I have never boned out an animal before and was hoping someone may have some good directions (with pics if possible) on how to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Fullabull

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-11-2003 19:42: Message edited by: Fullabull ]</font>

It's really very easy, just cut along the muscles to the bone, try and keep the peices big and carry game bags to put your meat in...
smile.gif

Thanks Elkchsr,

I figured it wouldn't be difficult. I didn't know if there were any tricks to it to save as much meat a possible.

I guess I'll just have to give a try and see what happens.

Fullabull

I've always thought about taking pictures while I was Deboning for such a Question.. Just never have. Next year I will... It'll be too late for you maybe but hopefully it'll come in handy for something.

I do have a Taking care of your Critter tape I could Copy and Send. They don't actually Debone it but they quarter it and We could work from there.

BAsically Deboning is like Quartering it.. but jsut taking the rest of the Bone out. I usually take the Front ends off before Gutting it. Makes it easier to move. But it also depends on how it's laying when It falls.. cuz ya Ain't gunna move it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

One thing to remember is dont put to much meat in the game bags. Have seen guys put to much meat in the bags and to much meat to cool. We use 6-7 bags on elk. Helps cool faster when it is warmer out. Might have already known that but just a suggestion for ya.

It all sounds good to me
smile.gif
Can't wait to try it out for size....

The pictures are great for the first part of the chore. The rest, I will have to go with the flow and see how good I am with my knife.

Good point about to much meat in a bag during the warm season!!

Thanks a bunch for the advice, I just hope I get a chance next year to try it
drool.gif

BTW: I did get my bull this year but when I pulled my camera out of the backpack....the battery was dead (duhh!!!). My buddy took some pics but I has not sent me any yet. When I get them I will post it.

Frullabull

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back